UMD: A Globally Connected University
ENGR Exchange: Nanyang Technological University (Singapore)
Nanyang Technical University is a good fit for students looking for a university with a strong science and technology focus in a global commerce, finance, and transport hub.
All students accepted to an Exchange program are automatically considered for an award of $1,000! See Cost tab for more information.
Ranked as the 11th best university in the world (QS World University Ranking 2020), NTU is a premier research-intensive tertiary institution. The College of Engineering, which focuses on creativity and innovation, has a research output among the top five in the world. The college is one of the world's largest engineering colleges.
Nanyang Technological University (NTU) is a research-intensive university with globally acknowledged strengths in science and engineering. The university has roots that go back to 1955 when Nanyang University was set up. Today, NTU has four colleges with 12 schools, and three autonomous entities, the National Institute of Education, the S Rajaratnam School of International Studies, and the Earth Observatory of Singapore.
NTU provides a high-quality global education to more than 21,700 undergraduates and 9,400 graduate students. The student body includes top scholars and international Olympiad medalists from the region and beyond. Hailing from 55 countries, the university's 2,700-strong teaching and research staff bring dynamic international perspectives and years of solid industry experience.
Singapore is a small, city-state that is made up of a main island and 63 surrounding islets. With one of the busiest ports in the world, this small, but cosmopolitan country has grown into a thriving centre of commerce and industry in just 150 years. English is the official working language of the country, but people also speak Chinese, Malay, and Tamil.
Exchange programs are highly competitive and space in each program is limited. You must meet the following eligibility requirements in order to apply to this program:
- 3.0 GPA
- Completion of 2 semesters at UMD
- You must be an ENGR major
Exchange programs are a good fit for students looking for immersion, personal growth, and the opportunity to strengthen qualities such as independence and adaptability.
Student Visa Information
A student visa is required for participation on this exchange. For more information, please visit our study abroad visa guide to view instructions for the country you will be visiting. Please note that visa information is subject to change and you are responsible for checking the embassy website for updates.
- Click "Apply Now" at the top of this page. You will log in with your UMD directory ID and password.
- Submit all application materials by the deadline listed below. This includes meeting with your EA advisor (listed at the top of this page), requesting a faculty letter of recommendation, and submitting an official transcript.
- After the application deadline, we will review all completed applications and nominate students for available spots in each exchange program.
- If you are nominated to participate in this exchange, you will work with your EA advisor (listed above) to apply directly to the host university, who will formally admit you to the exchange program.
- Nominated students will then work with their EA advisor (listed above) and our partner universities to coordinate all aspects of the stay at the host university such as course registration, visas and arrival.
Visit the Academics & Study Abroad page which outlines key considerations for your academic planning as you navigate different phases of study abroad:
- Pre-Departure Course Selection & Approval
- Finalizing Course Enrollment Abroad
- Transcripts and Credits on your UMD Record
The Nanyang Technology University Exchange Program offers coursework in a variety of engineering disciplines.
Disciplines available: Chemical and Biomedical Engineering, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Computer Engineering, Electrical, Electronic Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering and Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering.
There may be other course offerings on this program that are not currently listed in the Study Abroad Course Database (SACD).
- If you are interested in taking an engineering course not listed in the SACD, please submit an engineering course evaluation request.
- If you are interested in taking a non-engineering course not listed in the SACD, please submit a transfer credit evaluation request.
All credit you earn on this program will count as transfer credit towards your UMD degree. Most courses at Nanyang Technological University will be converted as follows:
|Nanyang Technological University Credit||UMD Credit|
|1 Nanyang Credit||1.04 UMD Credits|
|3 Nanyang Credits||3.12 UMD Credits|
The chart above was last approved by the UMD Transfer Credit Committee on September 4, 2014.
Undergraduates must receive a C- equivalent or better in order to be eligible for the transfer of credit.
|Nanyang Technological University||UMD Grade|
|2 = C||C -|
All exchange students are invited to apply for on-campus housing after receipt of their E-Welcome package. On-campus housing is not guaranteed for exchange students and only about 40% will receive a hall assignment. Hall assignments are distributed through a random balloting system. Students who do not receive on-campus housing will be recommended off-campus housing options.
NOTE: Full-year abroad students who receive on campus housing the first semester are not guaranteed housing the second semester.
UMD students participating in an Exchange program have the benefit of paying UMD tuition rates to attend an institution abroad. For specific information about this Exchange program, please reference the Cost of Attendance Chart.
Tuition and fees for exchange programs are charged directly to your UMD account, which means you can apply UMD scholarships, state and federal financial aid, and alternative loans towards the cost of an exchange. Students participating in a BMGT or ENGR exchange program are not charged differential tuition. Housing costs are paid directly to the host institution or on-site housing agency.
You can use the cost of attendance comparison worksheet to view how study abroad programs compare to each other and the amount you pay on campus at UMD. As always, your EA advisor (listed above) is available to help you complete this worksheet and find affordable programs that fit your study abroad goals.
All students accepted to an Exchange program are considered for an automatic award of $1,000! To be considered for this scholarship, you must:
- Be a current degree seeking undergraduate UMD student (graduate students are not eligible for this award)
- Not currently receive full tuition scholarship/benefits (i.e. Banneker Key, tuition remission, Frederick Douglass Scholarship, etc.)
Additional Financial Resources
Maximize your time abroad by taking advantage of resources at your host institution!
Student Clubs and Organizations
There are over 120 student clubs and organizations offered at NTU!
All incoming exchange students are encouraged to attend a half-day orientation usually held 3-days before the commencement of Teaching Week.
*These resource guides provide general information about services at UMD’s partner institution. For more information, consult your EA advisor.