UMD: A Globally Connected University
UMD Exchange: Pontificia Universidade Catolica - Rio de Janeiro (PUC-Rio) (Brazil)
All students accepted to an Exchange program are automatically considered for an award of $1,000! See Cost tab for more information.
Recognized as the best private university in Brazil, the Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio de Janeiro (PUC-Rio) is a private, non-profit, Catholic University that was founded in 1940 with the objective of developing knowledge based on humanistic values. The university now has 20,000 students who come from a variety of religious, ethnic and social backgrounds.
PUC-Rio is located in Gávea, a neighborhood located in the southern part of Rio de Janeiro. It's surrounded by some of the wealthiest neighborhoods in Rio and is located just outside of the Tijuca Forest, a picturesque national park and the largest urban forest in the world. A number of city bus lines have stops at the entrance of University that take you directly into the center of Rio. Rio de Janeiro is the second largest city in Brazil, with approximately 6.3 million inhabitants. Rio is the most visited city in the southern hemisphere and is well known for its cultural and natural attributes, such as carnival celebrations, Bossa Nova, beaches (think Copacabana), Christ the Redeemer on Corcovado mountain, and football.
Exchange programs are highly competitive and space in each program is limited. You must meet the following eligibility requirements in order to apply to this program:
- 3.0 GPA
- Completion of 2 semesters at UMD
- PORT104 strongly recommended
Exchange programs are a good fit for students looking for immersion, personal growth, and the opportunity to strengthen qualities such as independence and adaptability.
Student Visa Information
A student visa is required for participation on this exchange. For more information, please visit our study abroad visa guide to view instructions for the country you will be visiting. Please note that visa information is subject to change and you are responsible for checking the embassy website for updates.
- Click "Apply Now" at the top of this page. You will log in with your UMD directory ID and password.
- Submit all application materials by the deadline listed below. This includes meeting with your EA advisor (listed at the top of this page), requesting a faculty letter of recommendation, and submitting an official transcript.
- FOR ENGR GE3 ONLY: If you are applying for a Global E3 exchange, you will need to submit an additional GE3 application by the deadline listed on their website.
- After the application deadline, we will review all completed applications and nominate students for available spots in each exchange program.
- If you are nominated to participate in this exchange, you will work with your EA advisor (listed above) to apply directly to the host university, who will formally admit you to the exchange program.
- Nominated students will then work with their EA advisor (listed above) and our partner universities to coordinate all aspects of the stay at the host university such as course registration, visas and arrival.
While attending PUC, students can take classes that focus on Brazilian and Latin American culture, art and design, literature, business, interational relations, and history in English. All international students are also required to take a class in Portuguese as a Second Language. Students with advanced Portuguese language may be able to take regular classes in Portuguese in a variety of academic disciplines. General course offerings in English are available here: PUC Rio Courses in English_2016.pdf and students with advanced Portuguese can view more courses here: http://www.puc-rio.br/ensinopesq/academicas/.
Not all courses are offered each semester. You are advised to check the semester availability of courses based on the current academic year.
All credit you earn on this program will count as transfer credit towards your UMD degree. Most courses at PUC will be converted as follows:
|PUC-Rio Credit||UMD Credit|
|1 PUC credit||1 UMD credit|
|3 PUC credit||3 UMD Credit|
The chart above was last approved by the UMD Transfer Credit Committee on April 30, 2015.
You can view how courses at this institution have previously been evaluated for UMD equivalents through the Transfer Credit Services Equivalency Database (TCEQ). If you are interested in taking a course not listed on TCEQ, you may have it evaluated for acceptability by following the UMD Registrar’s evaluation request guidelines.
Undergraduates must receive a C- equivalent or better in order to be eligible for the transfer of credit.
|PUC Grade||UMD Grade|
PUC offers housing in the form of homestays, arranged through the university. If a student does not wish to participate in a homestay, they must find individual accomodations: http://www.puc-rio.br/ensinopesq/ccci/housing.html.
All students accepted to an Exchange program are considered for an automatic award of $1,000!
To be considered for this scholarship, you must:
- Be a current degree seeking undergraduate UMD student (graduate students are not eligible for this award)
- Not currently receive full tuition scholarship/benefits (i.e. Banneker Key, tuition remission, TAES, etc.)
- If you have a completed FAFSA on file and wish to be considered for need based aid in addition to the automatic award, complete the EA fund form by the deadline.
UMD students participating in an Exchange have the benefit of paying UMD tuition rates to attend an institution abroad. For specific information on the cost of attending this Exchange, please see the UMD Exchange Cost Sheet
Tuition and fees for exchange programs are charged directly to your UMD account, which means you can apply UMD scholarships, state and federal financial aid, and alternative loans towards the cost of an exchange. Housing costs are paid directly to the host institution or on-site housing agency.
You can use the cost of attendance comparison worksheet to view how study abroad programs compare to each other and the amount you pay on campus at UMD. As always, your EA advisor (listed above) is available help you complete this worksheet and find affordable programs that fit your study abroad goals.
Please refer to the following resources for more information on funding study abroad:
|Term||Year||Application Deadline||Admission Notification||Program Start||Program End|