UMD: A Globally Connected University
BMGT Exchange: Bocconi University (Italy)
All students accepted to an Exchange program are automatically considered for an award of $1,000! See Cost tab for more information.
Bocconi University is considered the leading university in Business and Economics in Italy and its School of Management has been ranked 11th in Europe and 31st worldwide according to the Financial Times MBA Ranking 2014. Bocconi is a full-fledged urban campus that comprises an entire city neighborhood.
To read about students' experiences on the Bocconi exchange program, visit the Smith Goes Global blog.
As the financial capital of Italy, Milan is a wonderful place to study business. As an epicenter of fashion and luxury goods, Milan offers a lot to students studying for a semester. Whether it’s attending famous Fashion Week or the equally well-known football matches, there is plenty to do with the city and the Lombardy region. Milan is also an excellent starting point for exploring the rest of Europe as it is located very close to France, Germany, and Switzerland.
Exchange programs are highly competitive and space in each program is limited. You must meet the following eligibility requirements in order to apply to this program:
- 3.0 GPA
- Completion of 2 semesters at UMD
- You must be a BMGT major
Exchange programs are a good fit for students looking for immersion, personal growth, and the opportunity to strengthen qualities such as independence and adaptability.
Student Visa Information
As an exchange student, you are required to obtain a visa. Please visit this website for more information.
- Click "Apply Now" at the top of this page. You will log in with your UMD directory ID and password.
- Submit all application materials by the deadline listed below. This includes meeting with your EA advisor (listed at the top of this page), requesting a faculty letter of recommendation, and submitting an official transcript.
- FOR ENGR GE3 ONLY: If you are applying for a Global E3 exchange, you will need to submit an additional GE3 application by the deadline listed on their website.
- After the application deadline, we will review all completed applications and nominate students for available spots in each exchange program.
- If you are nominated to participate in this exchange, you will work with your EA advisor (listed above) to apply directly to the host university, who will formally admit you to the exchange program.
- Nominated students will then work with their EA advisor (listed above) and our partner universities to coordinate all aspects of the stay at the host university such as course registration, visas and arrival.
Bocconi University offers courses in a wide range of disciplines, including Accounting, Finance, Information Systems, International Business, Management, Marketing, Operations Management, Supply Chain Management, Economics, and electives. For a full course list visit Bocconi’s website. Not all courses are offered each semester, however, so we advise you to check the semester availability of courses based on the current academic year.
Many classes are taught in English. Prior to the start of the semester, exchange students can participate in a “crash course” designed to orient them to the culture and language in Italy. Note that participation in this course will incur an additional cost that is not covered by tuition paid to UMD.
All credit you earn on this program will count as transfer credit towards your UMD degree. Most courses at Bocconi University will be converted as follows:
|Bocconi University Credit||UMD Credit|
|.5 ECTS credits||1 UMD credit|
|6 ECTS credits||3 UMD credits|
The credit conversion listed above was approved by the UMD Study Abroad Transfer Credit Committee on June 10, 2014.
You can view how courses at this institution have previously been evaluated for UMD equivalents on the Undergraduate Exchange page hosted by the Smith School of Business and the Transfer Credit Services Equivalency Database (TCEQ). If you are interested in taking a course not listed on TCEQ, you may have it evaluated for acceptability by following the UMD Registrar’s evaluation request guidelines.
Undergraduates must receive a C- equivalent or better in order to be eligible for the transfer of credit.
|Bocconi Grade||UMD Grade|
Students can choose from dorm-style accommodations where they live with other students or make arrangements on their own for a private apartment or flat.
All students accepted to an Exchange program are considered for an automatic award of $1,000!
To be considered for this scholarship, you must:
- Be a current degree seeking undergraduate UMD student (graduate students are not eligible for this award)
- Not currently receive full tuition scholarship/benefits (i.e. Banneker Key, tuition remission, TAES, etc.)
- If you have a completed FAFSA on file and wish to be considered for need based aid in addition to the automatic award, complete the EA fund form by the deadline.
UMD students participating in an Exchange have the benefit of paying UMD tuition rates to attend an institution abroad. For specific information on the cost of attending this Exchange, please see the UMD Exchange Cost Sheet
Tuition and fees for exchange programs are charged directly to your UMD account, which means you can apply UMD scholarships, state and federal financial aid, and alternative loans towards the cost of an exchange. Housing costs are paid directly to the host institution or on-site housing agency.
You can use the cost of attendance comparison worksheet to view how study abroad programs compare to each other and the amount you pay on campus at UMD. As always, your EA advisor (listed above) is available help you complete this worksheet and find affordable programs that fit your study abroad goals.
Please refer to the following resources for more information on funding study abroad:
|Term||Year||Application Deadline||Admission Notification||Program Start||Program End|
|Dates reflect information that is available on the program sponsor website. Please confirm with program sponsor/host university before making your travel plans.|