UMD: A Globally Connected University
UMD Exchange: Nanyang Technological University (Singapore)
All students accepted to an Exchange program are automatically considered for an award of $1,000! See Cost tab for more information.
Young and res¿¿earch-intensive, Nanyang Technological University (NTU) is one of the fastest-rising universities in the world with globally acknowledged strengths in science and engineering.
Nanyang Technological University (NTU) is one of the two largest public universities in Singapore with the biggest campus in Singapore. A research-intensive public university, NTU has 33,500 undergraduate and postgraduate students in the colleges of Engineering, Business, Science and Humanities, Arts & Social Sciences. It’s located on a lush 500-acre campus, hosts 900 exchanges students per year, and has many extracurricular activities offered on and off campus to complement the academics offered.
Singapore is a small, city-state that is made up of a main island and 63 surrounding islets. With one of the busiest ports in the world, this small, but cosmopolitan country boasts has grown into a thriving center of commerce and industry in just 150 years. English is the official working language of the country, but people also speak Chinese, Malay, and Tamil.
Exchange programs are highly competitive and space in each program is limited. You must meet the following eligibility requirements in order to apply to this program:
- 3.0 GPA
- Completion of 2 semesters at UMD
Exchange programs are a good fit for students looking for immersion, personal growth, and the opportunity to strengthen qualities such as independence and adaptability.
Student Visa Information
A student visa is required for participation on this exchange. For more information, please visit our study abroad visa guide to view instructions for the country you will be visiting. Please note that visa information is subject to change and you are responsible for checking the embassy website for updates.
- Click "Apply Now" at the top of this page. You will log in with your UMD directory ID and password.
- Submit all application materials by the deadline listed below. This includes meeting with your EA advisor (listed at the top of this page), requesting a faculty letter of recommendation, and submitting an official transcript.
- FOR ENGR GE3 ONLY: If you are applying for a Global E3 exchange, you will need to submit an additional GE3 application by the deadline listed on their website.
- After the application deadline, we will review all completed applications and nominate students for available spots in each exchange program.
- If you are nominated to participate in this exchange, you will work with your EA advisor (listed above) to apply directly to the host university, who will formally admit you to the exchange program.
- Nominated students will then work with their EA advisor (listed above) and our partner universities to coordinate all aspects of the stay at the host university such as course registration, visas and arrival.
NTU offers many programs to suite individual requirements. Courses are available in over 20 programs including art, communication, the humanities, science, and knesiology. NTU is particularly well known for courses in Science and Technology.
Course offerings are available on the NTU website.
NTU has a number of restrictions for exchange students including graduate level programs. Please refer to the NTU website for the list of restricted programs and classes.
NTU provides more information about semeter requirements here.
All credit you earn on this program will count as transfer credit towards your UMD degree. Most courses at Nanyang Technological University will be converted as follows:
|Nanyang Credit||UMD Credit|
|1.04 NTU AUS credit||1 UMD credit|
|3 NTU AUS credit||3.12 UMD Credit|
The chart above was last approved by the UMD Transfer Credit Committee on September 4, 2014.
You can view how courses at this institution have previously been evaluated for UMD equivalents through the Transfer Credit Services Equivalency Database (TCEQ). If you are interested in taking a course not listed on TCEQ, you may have it evaluated for acceptability by following the UMD Registrar’s evaluation request guidelines.
Undergraduates must receive a C- equivalent or better in order to be eligible for the transfer of credit.
|Nanyang Grade||UMD Grade|
|C -||C -|
Housing at Nanyang Technological University is divided between on and off campus living. Students are selected for on-campus accommodation through a random balloting system, therefore specific dormitories may not be chosen. Over 50% of students live off campus.
Want to know what to expect for on-campus housing? Watch this!
All students accepted to an Exchange program are considered for an automatic award of $1,000!
To be considered for this scholarship, you must:
- Be a current degree seeking undergraduate UMD student (graduate students are not eligible for this award)
- Not currently receive full tuition scholarship/benefits (i.e. Banneker Key, tuition remission, TAES, etc.)
- If you have a completed FAFSA on file and wish to be considered for need based aid in addition to the automatic award, complete the EA fund form by the deadline.
UMD students participating in an Exchange have the benefit of paying UMD tuition rates to attend an institution abroad. For specific information on the cost of attending this Exchange, please see the UMD Exchange Cost Sheet
Tuition and fees for exchange programs are charged directly to your UMD account, which means you can apply UMD scholarships, state and federal financial aid, and alternative loans towards the cost of an exchange. Housing costs are paid directly to the host institution or on-site housing agency.
You can use the cost of attendance comparison worksheet to view how study abroad programs compare to each other and the amount you pay on campus at UMD. As always, your EA advisor (listed above) is available help you complete this worksheet and find affordable programs that fit your study abroad goals.
Please refer to the following resources for more information on funding study abroad:
|Term||Year||Application Deadline||Admission Notification||Program Start||Program End|
|Dates reflect information that is available on the program sponsor website. Please confirm with program sponsor/host university before making your travel plans.|