UMD: A Globally Connected University
University of Sydney (direct enroll)
The University of Sydney is Australia's first university and its reputation spans 160 years. They are regularly ranked in the top 0.3% of universities worldwide. The cross-disciplinary nature of the university's 9 faculties (colleges) and schools allows them to offer the widest range of academic programs of any Australian university, giving students the flexibility to personalize your study.
From your first day at the University of Sydney, students have the opportunity to learn from aspiring academics. Sydney continues to rank among the top teaching and research universities in the world and offers a cutting-edge curriculum.
The iconic city of Sydney is best known for its distinctive Opera House, incredible Harbor, and its exciting and dynamic lifestyle. Sydney ranks first as the world's friendliest city of tourists and fourth best city for students. Sydney has many cultural events and festivals throughout the year. Explore how art, technology and commerce intersect at the Vivid City event, walk along the spectacular Bondi coastal walk and revel in three weeks of live music, visual arts, theater, food, and film during the Sydney Festival.
- Click "Apply Now" at the top of this page. You will log in with your UMD directory ID and password.
- Submit all application materials by the deadline listed below. This includes meeting with your EA advisor (listed at the top of this page), requesting a faculty letter of recommendation, and submitting an official transcript.
- FOR ENGR GE3 ONLY: If you are applying for a Global E3 exchange, you will need to submit an additional GE3 application by the deadline listed on their website.
- After the application deadline, we will review all completed applications and nominate students for available spots in each exchange program.
- If you are nominated to participate in this exchange, you will work with your EA advisor (listed above) to apply directly to the host university, who will formally admit you to the exchange program.
- Nominated students will then work with their EA advisor (listed above) and our partner universities to coordinate all aspects of the stay at the host university such as course registration, visas and arrival.
All credit you earn on this program will count as transfer credit on your UMD transcript. UMD uses the following conversion to assess how many credits you will get from this program:
|University of Sydney Credit||UMD Credit|
|U Syd credit x 2/3||One UMD credit|
The minimum passing grade at the University of Sydney is 50/P.
The chart above was last approved by the UMD Transfer Credit Committee on November 12, 2015.
Undergraduates must receive a C- equivalent or better in order to be eligible for the transfer of credit.
p>Housing placement at the University of Sydney is guaranteed. The University has eight residential colleges on the downtown campus. The University also offers furnished rooms in shared or self-contained apartments and houses, usually located within walking distance of campus.
Learn more about housing on the University of Sydney website.
To apply to this program, you must complete two main steps:
- Submit a UMD approval application - start by clicking “apply now” at the top of this page. This application allows UMD Education Abroad to approve your study abroad program selection so you may earn credit in a program outside of UMD.
This application will require you to meet with your EA advisor, who will communicate important details related to participating in this program. If you do not complete this application by the stated deadline, you may not receive credit for your study abroad program and will lose your student status for the time you are not studying at UMD.
- Apply directly to the program provider. After receiving UMD approval, you should submit the program application directly to the program sponsor by their deadline. Your program sponsor will determine your official acceptance to a program. You must adhere to the provider's timeline, eligibility standards, and application requirements.
After being accepted to your program, your EA advisor will guide you through the course pre-approval process where you will determine which credits you will fulfill abroad.
|Term||Year||Application Deadline||Admission Notification||Program Start||Program End|
|Dates reflect information that is available on the program sponsor website. Please confirm with program sponsor/host university before making your travel plans.|