UMD: A Globally Connected University
ENGR Exchange: University of Sheffield (United Kingdom)
The University of Sheffield has a world-wide reputation for quality, operating at the forefront of research and training with a population of over 25,000 students, including more than 3,700 international students from 120 countries. Recent surveys put the University of Sheffield in the top ten universities in the UK and there are five Nobel Prize winners associated with the University. Apart from the academics, Sheffield is a fantastic city for students because it's less expensive and safer than many other UK locations, and has a fantastic social scene between the Student's Union and the city itself. Read more about the University of Sheffield experience in this testimonial from a UMD student who spent a year there on an exchange program!
Sheffield is in northern England and situated in the heart of the beautiful English countryside and the famous Peak District National Park. Sheffield is one of the cheapest places in the UK to live and study, and is also one of the safest. It is a true student town and has plenty of shopping, nightlife, music venues, museums, and other sources of entertainment to keep all of its students busy. Historically an industrial town, there are now more than 200 parks, woodlands and gardens in the city. Manchester, Nottingham and Leeds are a short hour's journey away, while a train ride to London takes two and a half hours.
Exchange programs are highly competitive and space in each program is limited. You must meet the following eligibility requirements in order to apply to this program:
- 3.0 GPA
- Completion of 2 semesters at UMD
- You must be an ENGR major
Exchange programs are a good fit for students looking for immersion, personal growth, and the opportunity to strengthen qualities such as independence and adaptability.
Student Visa Information
A student visa is required for participation on this exchange. For more information, please visit our study abroad visa guide to view instructions for the country you will be visiting. Please note that visa information is subject to change and you are responsible for checking the embassy website for updates.
- Click "Apply Now" at the top of this page. You will log in with your UMD directory ID and password.
- Submit all application materials by the deadline listed below. This includes meeting with your EA advisor (listed at the top of this page), requesting a faculty letter of recommendation, and submitting an official transcript.
- FOR ENGR GE3 ONLY: If you are applying for a Global E3 exchange, you will need to submit an additional GE3 application by the deadline listed on their website.
- After the application deadline, we will review all completed applications and nominate students for available spots in each exchange program.
- If you are nominated to participate in this exchange, you will work with your EA advisor (listed above) to apply directly to the host university, who will formally admit you to the exchange program.
- Nominated students will then work with their EA advisor (listed above) and our partner universities to coordinate all aspects of the stay at the host university such as course registration, visas and arrival.
Course offerings are available on the university's website.
- Civil Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Materials Science Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
All credit you earn on this program will count as transfer credit on your UMD transcript. UMD uses the following conversion to assess how many credits you will get from this program:
|University of Sheffield Credit||UMD Credit|
|Sheffield credit x .3||One credit|
The chart above was last approved by the UMD Transfer Credit Committee on June 10, 2014.
Undergraduates must receive a C- equivalent or better in order to be eligible for the transfer of credit.
FOR ENGR: You can view how courses at this institution have previously been evaluated for UMD equivalents through the UMD Registrar’s transfer credit equivalency database page for this university. You can also refer to the full list of ENGR course equivalencies.To view previously approved study abroad courses by engineering department, view the Engineering Study Abroad Course Guide.
FOR UMD: You can view how courses at this institution have previously been evaluated for UMD equivalents through the UMD Registrar’s transfer credit equivalency database page for this university.
FOR BMGT: You can view how courses at this institution have previously been evaluated for UMD equivalents by viewing the BMGT course list for this university.
All exchange students are guaranteed a place in university accommodations provided they apply before the deadline. University housing is spread amongst 2 locations: Ranmoor/Endcliffe and City.
- Ranmoor/Endcliffe is home to over 4,500 students living together in modern apartment blocks, flats and houses, providing a range of catered and self-catered room types available including shared, deluxe, studios and en-suite rooms.
- All City based accommodation is self-catered. The accommodation is located in the area between the city centre and University campus, so you can walk to either in only a few minutes. The centre is compact and easy to walk around, with good pedestrian areas and plenty of public spaces. Our accommodation and the local residential suburbs are nearby and well served by frequent public transport.
More information for exchange accommodations is provided here.
UMD students participating in an Exchange have the benefit of paying UMD tuition rates to attend an institution abroad. For specific information on the cost of attending this Exchange, please see the UMD Exchange Cost Sheet
Tuition and fees for exchange programs are charged directly to your UMD account, which means you can apply UMD scholarships, state and federal financial aid, and alternative loans towards the cost of an exchange. Housing costs are paid directly to the host institution or on-site housing agency.
You can use the cost of attendance comparison worksheet to view how study abroad programs compare to each other and the amount you pay on campus at UMD. As always, your EA advisor (listed above) is available help you complete this worksheet and find affordable programs that fit your study abroad goals.
Please refer to the following resources for more information on funding study abroad:
|Term||Year||Application Deadline||Admission Notification||Program Start||Program End|
|Da¿tes reflect information that is available on the program sponsor website. Please confirm with program sponsor/host university before making your travel plans.|