UMD: A Globally Connected University
CIEE Liberal Arts Program in Lima, Peru
CIEE Liberal Arts Program in Lima, Peru
Spend a semester or a year in cosmopolitan Lima refining your intermediate or advanced Spanish language skills while immersing yourself in Peruvian culture.
Through direct enrolment at the oldest private university in the country, homestays, volunteering opportunities and a variety of cultural activities and excursions, studying abroad in Lima offers you a unique intercultural experience and fascinating insight into the country and its people.
Study abroad in Peru and you will:
- Prepare for the semester with an intensive two-week Spanish language program
- Choose from a wide range of course offerings at one of Peru’s oldest and most prestigious universities; make friends with local student peers
- Live with a local Peruvian family and be immersed in the country’s language and unique culture
- Travel outside of Lima to Cuzco and Machu Picchu; participate in workshops on Peruvian music, dance, and cuisine; take tours in and outside of the city
Please check the CIEE website for final program dates, and speak with your CIEE Study Abroad Advisor prior to booking airfare.
To apply to this program, you must complete two main steps:
- Submit a UMD approval application - start by clicking “apply now” at the top of this page. This application allows UMD Education Abroad to approve your study abroad program selection so you may earn credit in a program outside of UMD.
This application will require you to meet with your EA advisor, who will communicate important details related to participating in this program. If you do not complete this application by the stated deadline, you may not receive credit for your study abroad program and will lose your student status for the time you are not studying at UMD.
- Apply directly to the program provider. After receiving UMD approval, you should submit the program application directly to the program sponsor by their deadline. Your program sponsor will determine your official acceptance to a program. You must adhere to the provider's timeline, eligibility standards, and application requirements.
After being accepted to your program, your EA advisor will guide you through the course pre-approval process where you will determine which credits you will fulfill abroad.
UMD partners with CIEE to offer affiliate program options to UMD students across the globe. While you will maintain your UMD student status while you are away, you will work directly with CIEE program staff as a participant on their program. Your EA advisor will assist you with this process and can answer questions you may have about the application process.
Academics on a CIEE program
All CIEE courses are considered for transfer credit. Field studies, internships, and other experiential courses require explicit approval by exception from your academic advisor or college advising office for credit transfer. Study tours and classes offered on a pass/fail basis are not transferrable.
Transcript from a CIEE program
UMD will require the CIEE School of Record transcript from Tulane University in order to apply your study abroad credits to your UMD degree. CIEE waives the fee to issue a School of Record transcript for UMD students. Please ensure that the transcript from Tulane University is sent to UMD Education Abroad at the end of your semester abroad. CIEE will provide instructions and deadlines for submitting your School of Record Request.
Costs & Billing for a CIEE program
The affiliate program costs apply to this program. All fees are billed to your UMD student account unless otherwise noted. The following CIEE program fee discounts apply to UMD students:
- $750 discount for CIEE summer programs
- $1,500 discount for CIEE semester programs
- Waiver of $500 school of record fee
As part of your program application to CIEE, you will pay a $50 application fee to CIEE directly. If accepted, you will then pay a $300 confirmation fee (deposit) to CIEE directly. The remaining CIEE program fees, including housing, will be charged to your UMD student account. You will be able to use any financial aid you receive from UMD towards these charges.
Scholarships for this program are available through the UMD Education Abroad Fund and CIEE Scholarships & Grants, including both need-based and merit-based awards. To be considered for the CIEE funding, just check the “Scholarships and Grants” box on your CIEE program application.
|Term||Year||Application Deadline||Admission Notification||Program Start||Program End|
|Da¿tes reflect information that is available on the program sponsor website. Please confirm with program sponsor/host university before making your travel plans.|
|Dates reflect information that is available on the program sponsor website. Please confirm with program sponsor/host university before making your travel plans.|