UMD: A Globally Connected University
BMGT Exchange: IE Business School, IE University (Spain)
IE University is located in Segovia, Spain, just 25 minutes away from Madrid. 65% of the students enrolled at IE are coming from abroad and the school is home to over 70 nationalities. IE also has a campus in Madrid, which is available to third and fourth year students. The graduate School, IE Business School, is consistently ranked near the top worldwide, achieving number 3 in Europe according to the Financial Times in 2012.
The city of Segovia has been a World Heritage Site since 1985 and is renowned for its Romanesque art and architecture. Segovia is also home to the beautiful Alcazar Gardens and the Garden of la Merced. The annual film festival MUCES occurs during the fall and screens European films which have not been commercially screened in Spain yet but are popular in their home countries.
Madrid is the capital and largest city in Spain, home to over 6 million people in the metro area alone. It is the seat of the country’s government and economic institutions and is one of the cities on the Iberian Peninsula that attracts the most foreign investment. Aside from politics and the economy, Madrid hosts the Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofia which showcases Spanish artists, among them Pablo Picasso and Salvador Dali. Of course, the internationally famous soccer team Real Madrid plays their home games in the Santiago Bernabeu stadium.
Exchange programs are highly competitive and space in each program is limited. You must meet the following eligibility requirements in order to apply to this program:
- 3.0 GPA
- Completion of 2 semesters at UMD
- You must be a BMGT major
Exchange programs are a good fit for students looking for immersion, personal growth, and the opportunity to strengthen qualities such as independence and adaptability.
Student Visa Information
- Click "Apply Now" at the top of this page. You will log in with your UMD directory ID and password.
- Submit all application materials by the deadline listed below. This includes meeting with your EA advisor (listed at the top of this page), requesting a faculty letter of recommendation, and submitting an official transcript.
- FOR ENGR GE3 ONLY: If you are applying for a Global E3 exchange, you will need to submit an additional GE3 application by the deadline listed on their website.
- After the application deadline, we will review all completed applications and nominate students for available spots in each exchange program.
- If you are nominated to participate in this exchange, you will work with your EA advisor (listed above) to apply directly to the host university, who will formally admit you to the exchange program.
- Nominated students will then work with their EA advisor (listed above) and our partner universities to coordinate all aspects of the stay at the host university such as course registration, visas and arrival.
Students are required to complete 15 UMD credits per semester. Students can also take Spanish language courses. Academic programs offered include Business Administration, Finance, International Relations, and others. For more information visit http://www.ie.edu/university/studies/academic-programs. For equivalencies of courses approved for transfer in the past, visit the Smith Equivalencies. Note that UMD cannot guarantee that a particular course will be offered in any given semester at IE.
All classes are taught in English and Spanish.
All credit you earn on this program will count as transfer credit on your UMD transcript. UMD uses the following conversion to assess how many credits you will get from this program:
|IE Business School Credit||UMD Credit|
|.667 credit||1 credit|
The chart above was last approved by the UMD Transfer Credit Committee on February 27, 2014.
The minimum passing grade at the IE Business School is a 5.
Undergraduates must receive a C- equivalent or better in order to be eligible for the transfer of credit.
FOR ENGR: You can view how courses at this institution have previously been evaluated for UMD equivalents through the UMD Registrar’s transfer credit equivalency database page for this university. You can also refer to the full list of ENGR course equivalencies.To view previously approved study abroad courses by engineering department, view the Engineering Study Abroad Course Guide.
FOR UMD: You can view how courses at this institution have previously been evaluated for UMD equivalents through the UMD Registrar’s transfer credit equivalency database page for this university.
FOR BMGT: You can view how courses at this institution have previously been evaluated for UMD equivalents by viewing the BMGT course list for this university.
Financial Times in 2012.
- Students have various options for accommodation in Segovia:
- On-Campus Residence Halls: Double or single occupancy, private bathrooms and wifi access with meals included. Limited availability for exchange students.
- Home-stay: IE will place students with a Spanish family if requested. Great opportunity to improve Spanish language ability!
- Off-campus: IE has agreements with various apartment buildings to rent to students in the general campus area.
- Accommodation in Madrid is done through private agencies. Most housing available is private, furnished apartments ranging from $780 - $1,040.
UMD students participating in an Exchange have the benefit of paying UMD tuition rates to attend an institution abroad. For specific information on the cost of attending this Exchange, please see the UMD Exchange Cost Sheet
Tuition and fees for exchange programs are charged directly to your UMD account, which means you can apply UMD scholarships, state and federal financial aid, and alternative loans towards the cost of an exchange. Housing costs are paid directly to the host institution or on-site housing agency.
You can use the cost of attendance comparison worksheet to view how study abroad programs compare to each other and the amount you pay on campus at UMD. As always, your EA advisor (listed above) is available help you complete this worksheet and find affordable programs that fit your study abroad goals.
Please refer to the following resources for more information on funding study abroad:
|Term||Year||Application Deadline||Admission Notification||Program Start||Program End|