UMD: A Globally Connected University
CIEE Development Studies Program in Dakar, Senegal
CIEE Development Studies Program in Dakar, Senegal
Over the past few years Senegal has made strides toward improving human rights and the standard of living. Explore how this is being achieved, and confront the complexities surrounding environmental, developmental, and globalization issues. You’ll join in a hands-on learning model to examine Senegalese society, from education to politics and the impact of Islam. Through language learning, homestays, coursework, fieldwork, and community engagement, you’ll get unparalleled insight into issues facing West Africa.
Study abroad in Senegal and you will:
- Learn firsthand about the development challenges facing Senegal through both coursework and participation in urban and rural community engagement projects
- Spend two weeks living, studying, and volunteering in a rural or semi-urban area of Senegal, deepening your understanding of development issues in different areas of the country
- Live with a local host family to gain new perspectives on Senegalese traditions
Please check the CIEE website for final program dates, and speak with your CIEE Study Abroad Advisor prior to booking airfare.
To apply to this program, you must complete two main steps:
- Submit a UMD approval application - start by clicking “apply now” at the top of this page. This application allows UMD Education Abroad to approve your study abroad program selection so you may earn credit in a program outside of UMD.
This application will require you to meet with your EA advisor, who will communicate important details related to participating in this program. If you do not complete this application by the stated deadline, you may not receive credit for your study abroad program and will lose your student status for the time you are not studying at UMD.
- Apply directly to the program provider. After receiving UMD approval, you should submit the program application directly to the program sponsor by their deadline. Your program sponsor will determine your official acceptance to a program. You must adhere to the provider's timeline, eligibility standards, and application requirements.
After being accepted to your program, your EA advisor will guide you through the course pre-approval process where you will determine which credits you will fulfill abroad.
UMD partners with CIEE to offer affiliate program options to UMD students across the globe. While you will maintain your UMD student status while you are away, you will work directly with CIEE program staff as a participant on their program. Your EA advisor will assist you with this process and can answer questions you may have about the application process.
Academics on a CIEE program
All CIEE courses are considered for transfer credit. Field studies, internships, and other experiential courses require explicit approval by exception from your academic advisor or college advising office for credit transfer. Study tours and classes offered on a pass/fail basis are not transferrable.
Transcript from a CIEE program
UMD will require the CIEE School of Record transcript from Tulane University in order to apply your study abroad credits to your UMD degree. CIEE waives the fee to issue a School of Record transcript for UMD students. Please ensure that the transcript from Tulane University is sent to UMD Education Abroad at the end of your semester abroad. CIEE will provide instructions and deadlines for submitting your School of Record Request.
Costs & Billing for a CIEE program
The affiliate program costs apply to this program. All fees are billed to your UMD student account unless otherwise noted. The following CIEE program fee discounts apply to UMD students:
- $2,000 off of CIEE semester program fee (MSI Grant)
- Pell-eligible students are also guaranteed free airfare through the GAIN travel grant (see below)
- $750 off of CIEE summer program fee (MSI Grant + UMD discount)
- Pell-eligible students are also guaranteed free airfare* through the GAIN travel grant
- Waiver of $500 school of record fee
As part of your program application to CIEE, you will pay a $50 application fee to CIEE directly. If accepted, you will then pay a $300 confirmation fee (deposit) to CIEE directly. The remaining CIEE program fees, including housing, will be charged to your UMD student account. You will be able to use any financial aid you receive from UMD towards these charges.
Scholarships for this program are available through the UMD Education Abroad Fund and for up to a maximum of $6,500 in CIEE Scholarships & Grants, including need-based awards, and automatic CIEE discounts and awards for UMD students (see above).
In addition to the guaranteed UMD student discount or MSI grant, CIEE competitive scholarships and grants, Pell-eligible students automatically qualify for the following:
- *Guaranteed* GAIN travel grant, which covers the cost of airfare (up to $2,000) to your CIEE program site.
- Gilman Go Global Grant of up to $2,500 for semester programs and $1,000 for summer programs if you qualify and apply to the Benjamin A. Gilman Scholarship (regardless of whether or not you receive the Gilman scholarship).
To be considered for the CIEE funding, just check the “Scholarships and Grants” box on your CIEE program application.
|Term||Year||Application Deadline||Admission Notification||Program Start||Program End|
|Dates reflect information that is available on the program sponsor website. Please confirm with program sponsor/host university before making your travel plans.|