UMD: A Globally Connected University
UMD Exchange: University of Haifa (Israel)
The University of Haifa is a diverse institution of higher education with members of different communities, ethnicities and faiths joined together in an academic atmosphere of coexistence, tolerance, and mutual respect. The University was established in 1963 under the joint auspices of the Hebrew University of Jerusalem and the Haifa Municipality. The University of Haifa considers the link between academic excellence and social responsibility as its flagship, and service to the community as one of its important goals.
The University of Haifa is located on top of Mt. Carmel on the southeast side of the city of Haifa, bordering Carmel National Park. Haifa is the largest city in northern Israel, and the third largest city in the country. It's a beautiful Mediterranean city surrounded by miles of natural beaches and Carmel National Park. Haifa holds prominence as Israel’s major port city for international commerce and a center of high tech industry. It's the world center of the Baha'i faith, and the Jewish, Christian, Moslem and Druze communities play important roles in shaping Haifa's harmonious and friendly social ambiance. There are many forms of cultural entertainment available with the internationally acclaimed symphony orchestra, theater and numerous cinemas, clubs, and restaurants. Haifa is considered to be the Israeli equivalent of San Francisco because of its sloping steep streets, proximity to a bay and liberal atmosphere.
Exchange programs are highly competitive and space in each program is limited. You must meet the following eligibility requirements in order to apply to this program:
- 3.0 GPA
- Completion of 2 semesters at UMD
- Students wanting to study in Peace and Conflict Studies and Psychology must have a 3.2 GPA
Exchange programs are a good fit for students looking for immersion, personal growth, and the opportunity to strengthen qualities such as independence and adaptability.
Student Visa Information
A student visa is required for participation on this exchange. For more information, please visit our study abroad visa guide to view instructions for the country you will be visiting. Please note that visa information is subject to change and you are responsible for checking the embassy website for updates.
- Click "Apply Now" at the top of this page. You will log in with your UMD directory ID and password.
- Submit all application materials by the deadline listed below. This includes meeting with your EA advisor (listed at the top of this page), requesting a faculty letter of recommendation, and submitting an official transcript.
- FOR ENGR GE3 ONLY: If you are applying for a Global E3 exchange, you will need to submit an additional GE3 application by the deadline listed on their website.
- After the application deadline, we will review all completed applications and nominate students for available spots in each exchange program.
- If you are nominated to participate in this exchange, you will work with your EA advisor (listed above) to apply directly to the host university, who will formally admit you to the exchange program.
- Nominated students will then work with their EA advisor (listed above) and our partner universities to coordinate all aspects of the stay at the host university such as course registration, visas and arrival.
The University offers six Faculties, or colleges, in Humanities, Social Sciences, Sciences and Science Education, Law, Social Welfare and Health Studies, and Education and has five Schools in Business Administration, Social Work, History, Public Health, and Political Sciences. Exchange students studying at the University of Haifa would be hosted by the International School. There are over 17,000 students enrolled at the University, and it is also the home of a number of research institutes and study centers.
With numerous cultural and social activities, volunteer, and internship experiences, the University of Haifa International School provides exchange students with a well-rounded abroad experience.
All credit you earn on this program will count as transfer credit on your UMD transcript. UMD uses the following conversion to assess how many credits you will get from this program:
|University of Haifa Credit||UMD Credit|
|1 credit||1 credit|
|3 credit||3 credits|
Undergraduates must receive a C- equivalent or better in order to be eligible for the transfer of credit.
University of Haifa's course numbering system identifies the level of the course.
- 1000-1999 - lower level courses
- 2000-2999 - upper level courses
- 3000-3999 - upper level research courses
- 4000 - graduate-level courses
FOR UMD General Exchange: You can view how courses at this institution have previously been evaluated for UMD equivalents through the UMD Registrar’s transfer credit equivalency database page for this university.
FOR BMGT: You can view how courses at this institution have previously been evaluated for UMD equivalents by viewing the BMGT course list for this university.
FOR ENGR: You can view how courses at this institution have previously been evaluated for UMD equivalents through the UMD Registrar’s transfer credit equivalency database page for this university. You can also refer to the full list of ENGR course equivalencies.To view previously approved study abroad courses by engineering department, view the Engineering Study Abroad Course Guide.
UMD students participating in an Exchange have the benefit of paying UMD tuition rates to attend an institution abroad. For specific information on the cost of attending this Exchange, please see the UMD Exchange Cost Sheet
Tuition and fees for exchange programs are charged directly to your UMD account, which means you can apply UMD scholarships, state and federal financial aid, and alternative loans towards the cost of an exchange. Housing costs are paid directly to the host institution or on-site housing agency.
You can use the cost of attendance comparison worksheet to view how study abroad programs compare to each other and the amount you pay on campus at UMD. As always, your EA advisor (listed above) is available help you complete this worksheet and find affordable programs that fit your study abroad goals.
Please refer to the following resources for more information on funding study abroad:
|Term||Year||Application Deadline||Admission Notification||Program Start||Program End|