UMD: A Globally Connected University
UMD Exchange: University of Birmingham (United Kingdom)
All students accepted to an Exchange program are automatically considered for an award of $1,000! See Cost tab for more information.
Birmingham is a truly global university producing world-leading research. With almost 5,000 international students from more than 150 countries, and 31% of our academic staff from overseas, the University of Birmingham campus is truly a diverse and global place which attracts the brightest and best international students and staff.
Birmingham has been challenging and developing great minds for more than a century. As an exchange student, you can expect to experience a university which is characterized by a tradition of innovation. Research at the University has broken new ground, pushed forward the boundaries of knowledge, and made an impact on people’s lives.
Visit the University of Birmingham Incoming Brochure.
Birmingham is located in the West Midlands of England. It is the most populated city in England outside of London. The city is a major, international commercial center and an important transportation and retail hub. You will be part of a diverse community located in an inspirational campus setting, with access to the most vibrant multicultural city in the UK on your doorstep. You will relish your time at Birmingham, and the friendships you will make and the experience you share will shape your future. The University's 250 acre campus was recently listed in the top ten most beautiful universities in Britain by The Telegraph.
The University of Birmingham and the University of Maryland are both members in Universitas 21 (U21). U21 is the leading global network of research-intensive universities; working together to foster global citizenship and institutional innovation through research inspired teaching and learning, student mobility, connecting our students and staff, and wider advocacy for internationalization.
Learn more about Universitas 21 and its programs and mission on the U21 website: http://universitas21.com/
Exchange programs are highly competitive and space in each program is limited. You must meet the following eligibility requirements in order to apply to this program:
- 3.0 GPA
- Completion of 2 semesters at UMD
Exchange programs are a good fit for students looking for immersion, personal growth, and the opportunity to strengthen qualities such as independence and adaptability.
Student Visa Information
A student visa is required for participation on this exchange. For more information, please visit our study abroad visa guide to view instructions for the country you will be visiting. Please note that visa information is subject to change and you are responsible for checking the embassy website for updates.
- Click "Apply Now" at the top of this page. You will log in with your UMD directory ID and password.
- Submit all application materials by the deadline listed below. This includes meeting with your EA advisor (listed at the top of this page), requesting a faculty letter of recommendation, and submitting an official transcript.
- FOR ENGR GE3 ONLY: If you are applying for a Global E3 exchange, you will need to submit an additional GE3 application by the deadline listed on their website.
- After the application deadline, we will review all completed applications and nominate students for available spots in each exchange program.
- If you are nominated to participate in this exchange, you will work with your EA advisor (listed above) to apply directly to the host university, who will formally admit you to the exchange program.
- Nominated students will then work with their EA advisor (listed above) and our partner universities to coordinate all aspects of the stay at the host university such as course registration, visas and arrival.
University of Birmingham offers coursework in Arts and Law, Engineering and Physical Sciences, Life and Environmental Sciences, Medical and Dental Sciences, and Social Sciences. Some courses may be restricted for exchange students. Course offerings are available on the university's website: http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/index.aspx.
All credit you earn on this program will count as transfer credit towards your UMD degree. Most courses at the University of Birmingham will be converted as follows:
|Birmingham Credit||UMD Credit|
|1 UK credit x .3||1 UMD credit|
|10 UK credit x .3||3 UMD credit|
The chart above was last approved by the UMD Transfer Credit Committee on June 10, 2014.
You can view how courses at this institution have previously been evaluated for UMD equivalents through the Transfer Credit Services Equivalency Database (TCEQ). If you are interested in taking a course not listed on TCEQ, you may have it evaluated for acceptability by following the UMD Registrar’s evaluation request guidelines.
Undergraduates must receive a C- equivalent or better in order to be eligible for the transfer of credit.
|University of Birmingham Grade||UMD Grade|
You can learn more about accommodation on the University of Birmingham website.
A place to call home
All students accepted to an Exchange program are considered for an automatic award of $1,000!
To be considered for this scholarship, you must:
- Be a current degree seeking undergraduate UMD student (graduate students are not eligible for this award)
- Not currently receive full tuition scholarship/benefits (i.e. Banneker Key, tuition remission, TAES, etc.)
- If you have a completed FAFSA on file and wish to be considered for need based aid in addition to the automatic award, complete the EA fund form by the deadline.
UMD students participating in an Exchange have the benefit of paying UMD tuition rates to attend an institution abroad. For specific information on the cost of attending this Exchange, please see the UMD Exchange Cost Sheet
Tuition and fees for exchange programs are charged directly to your UMD account, which means you can apply UMD scholarships, state and federal financial aid, and alternative loans towards the cost of an exchange. Housing costs are paid directly to the host institution or on-site housing agency.
You can use the cost of attendance comparison worksheet to view how study abroad programs compare to each other and the amount you pay on campus at UMD. As always, your EA advisor (listed above) is available help you complete this worksheet and find affordable programs that fit your study abroad goals.
Please refer to the following resources for more information on funding study abroad:
|Term||Year||Application Deadline||Admission Notification||Program Start||Program End|