UMD: A Globally Connected University
UMD Exchange: Università per Stranieri di Perugia (SLLC) (Italy)
All students accepted to an Exchange program are automatically considered for an award of $1,000! See Cost tab for more information.
The University for Foreigners Perugia is the oldest and most prestigious Italian institution involved in teaching and research activities as well as in the diffusion of the Italian language and civilization in all expressions.
The University specializes in the teaching of Italian as a second language including related subjects such as art, literature, and economy. Its principal aim is to help promote the Italian language and culture worldwide thereby increasing awareness of cultural diversities in our world.
Perugia is an ancient city surrounded by the rolling hills of Umbria and Tuscany. Perugia’s hilltop location serves as the ideal backdrop for study abroad in Italy. Rich in art, architecture, and historical significance, it is internationally recognized as a city of learning. While lying off the beaten path, travel from Perugia is easy as Rome, Florence, Siena, Assisi, and Cortona lie only a short distance away.
Exchange programs are highly competitive and space in each program is limited. You must meet the following eligibility requirements in order to apply to this program:
- 3.0 GPA
- Completion of 2 semesters at UMD
- This program has been reviewed and approved for students in the Italian/Secondary Education program. Therefore, students in EDUC and SLLC majors are given priority in admissions, but all other majors are encouraged to apply.
- Italian language proficiency is necessary; all nominated students will be tested to determine their level. A level B1-B2 or C1 is recommended.
Exchange programs are a good fit for students looking for immersion, personal growth, and the opportunity to strengthen qualities such as independence and adaptability.
Student Visa Information
A student visa is required for participation on this exchange. For more information, please visit our study abroad visa guide to view instructions for the country you will be visiting. Please note that visa information is subject to change and you are responsible for checking the embassy website for updates.
- Click "Apply Now" at the top of this page. You will log in with your UMD directory ID and password.
- Submit all application materials by the deadline listed below. This includes meeting with your EA advisor (listed at the top of this page), requesting a faculty letter of recommendation, and submitting an official transcript.
- FOR ENGR GE3 ONLY: If you are applying for a Global E3 exchange, you will need to submit an additional GE3 application by the deadline listed on their website.
- After the application deadline, we will review all completed applications and nominate students for available spots in each exchange program.
- If you are nominated to participate in this exchange, you will work with your EA advisor (listed above) to apply directly to the host university, who will formally admit you to the exchange program.
- Nominated students will then work with their EA advisor (listed above) and our partner universities to coordinate all aspects of the stay at the host university such as course registration, visas and arrival.
The University also offers some course work in Communications and International Relations. Please note the language of instruction is Italian. View options here: https://www.unistrapg.it/en/node/29
All credit you earn on this program will count as transfer credit towards your UMD degree. Most courses at Perugia will be converted as follows:
|Perugia Credit||UMD Credit|
|1 ECTS credit||1 UMD credit|
|6 ECTS credit||3 UMD credit|
The chart above was last approved by the UMD Transfer Credit Committee on July 9, 2015.
You can view how courses at this institution have previously been evaluated for UMD equivalents through the Transfer Credit Services Equivalency Database (TCEQ). If you are interested in taking a course not listed on TCEQ, you may have it evaluated for acceptability by following the UMD Registrar’s evaluation request guidelines.
Undergraduates must receive a C- equivalent or better in order to be eligible for the transfer of credit.
|Perugia Grade||UMD Grade|
Housing for this program is independent. The Università per Stranieri di Perugia does not have on-campus housing for students. The university works with a private housing company to place students in a variety of accommodations based on your needs. For more information please visit: https://www.unistrapg.it/en/campus-life/services/cerclloggio-umbria
All students accepted to an Exchange program are considered for an automatic award of $1,000!
To be considered for this scholarship, you must:
- Be a current degree seeking undergraduate UMD student (graduate students are not eligible for this award)
- Not currently receive full tuition scholarship/benefits (i.e. Banneker Key, tuition remission, TAES, etc.)
- If you have a completed FAFSA on file and wish to be considered for need based aid in addition to the automatic award, complete the EA fund form by the deadline.
UMD students participating in an Exchange have the benefit of paying UMD tuition rates to attend an institution abroad. For specific information on the cost of attending this Exchange, please see the UMD Exchange Cost Sheet
Tuition and fees for exchange programs are charged directly to your UMD account, which means you can apply UMD scholarships, state and federal financial aid, and alternative loans towards the cost of an exchange. Housing costs are paid directly to the host institution or on-site housing agency.
You can use the cost of attendance comparison worksheet to view how study abroad programs compare to each other and the amount you pay on campus at UMD. As always, your EA advisor (listed above) is available help you complete this worksheet and find affordable programs that fit your study abroad goals.
Please refer to the following resources for more information on funding study abroad:
|Term||Year||Application Deadline||Admission Notification||Program Start||Program End|