UMD: A Globally Connected University
BMGT Exchange: Singapore Management University (Singapore)
Study in one of the most dynamic international cities in the world, a true hub of commerce in Asia.
A premier university in Asia, the Singapore Management University (SMU) is internationally recognized for its world-class research and distinguished teaching. Established in 2000, SMU’s mission is to generate leading-edge research with global impact and produce broad-based, creative and entrepreneurial leaders for the knowledge-based economy.
The SMU campus is situated at the heart of Singapore’s central business district and the arts and heritage precincts. Singapore is a vibrant city and one of the safest, most well-connected, and cleanest countries in the world. As Asia’s major commercial hub, it attracts many multinational corporations and people from around the world. A multicultural country, Singapore is welcoming and a great place to live and learn.
Exchange programs are highly competitive and space in each program is limited. You must meet the following eligibility requirements in order to apply to this program:
- 3.0 GPA
- Completion of 2 semesters at UMD
- You must be an ENGR/a BMGT major
Exchange programs are a good fit for students looking for immersion, personal growth, and the opportunity to strengthen qualities such as independence and adaptability.
Student Visa Information
A student visa may required for participation on this exchange. For more information, please visit our study abroad visa guide to view instructions for Singapore. Please note that visa information is subject to change and you are responsible for checking the embassy website for updates.
- Click "Apply Now" at the top of this page. You will log in with your UMD directory ID and password.
- Submit all application materials by the deadline listed below. This includes meeting with your EA advisor (listed at the top of this page), requesting a faculty letter of recommendation, and submitting an official transcript.
- FOR ENGR GE3 ONLY: If you are applying for a Global E3 exchange, you will need to submit an additional GE3 application by the deadline listed on their website.
- After the application deadline, we will review all completed applications and nominate students for available spots in each exchange program.
- If you are nominated to participate in this exchange, you will work with your EA advisor (listed above) to apply directly to the host university, who will formally admit you to the exchange program.
- Nominated students will then work with their EA advisor (listed above) and our partner universities to coordinate all aspects of the stay at the host university such as course registration, visas and arrival.
SMU offers many courses available to exchange students, including in Accountancy, Business, Economics, Information Systems, Law, Social Sciences) are open to exchange students. Some courses require students to fulfil prerequisites before reading. The prerequisites are listed in the online course catalog.
Not all courses are offered each semester. You are advised to check the semester availability of courses based on the current academic year: https://inet.smu.edu.sg/sites/courses
Courses in accounting may be restricted for exchange students.
All credit you earn on this program will count as transfer credit on your UMD transcript. UMD uses the following conversion to assess how many credits you will get from this program:
|[Enter University Name] Credit||UMD Credit|
|__ credit||__ credit|
|__ credit||__ credit|
The chart above was last approved by the UMD Transfer Credit Committee on ____
Undergraduates must receive a C- equivalent or better in order to be eligible for the transfer of credit.
OR BMGT: You can view how courses at this institution have previously been evaluated for UMD equivalents by viewing the BMGT course list for this university.
SMU will provide housing information upon acceptance. While there is no campus housing available, several international student residences are located near campus.
For more information, visit SMU’s accommodation website https://www.smu.edu.sg/global/global-programmes/international-exchange/incoming-exchange-students/accommodation.
UMD students participating in an Exchange have the benefit of paying UMD tuition rates and fees to attend an institution abroad. For specific information on the cost of attending this Exchange, please see the UMD Exchange Cost Sheet
Tuition and fees for exchange programs are charged directly to your UMD account, which means you can apply UMD scholarships, state and federal financial aid, and alternative loans towards the cost of an exchange. Housing costs are paid directly to the host institution or on-site housing agency.
You can use the cost of attendance comparison worksheet to view how study abroad programs compare to each other and the amount you pay on campus at UMD. As always, your EA advisor (listed above) is available help you complete this worksheet and find affordable programs that fit your study abroad goals.
Please refer to the following resources for more information on funding study abroad:
|Term||Year||Application Deadline||Admission Notification||Program Start||Program End|