UMD: A Globally Connected University
Virtual Global Opportunities Summer 2020
Go global from home!
Staying globally connected is more important than ever. This summer, our #FearlessTerps may do so from home! Enroll in an online course or gain valuable work experience through a virtual internship offered by one of UMD’s global partners. These global learning opportunities will allow you to:
- Investigate the world beyond your immediate borders and focus on addressing significant global challenges with students from around the world
- Recognize perspectives, others’ and your own and communicate those ideas effectively
- Grow your global network by connecting with international faculty, students and organizations
- Gain experience designing projects that improve the global common good
UMD Approved Summer Online Coursework through Global Partner
- Hebrew University of Jerusalem based in Israel (program info | course list)
- Maastricht University based in the Netherlands (program info | course list)
- National School of Development, Peking University based in China (program info | course list)
- Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona based in Spain (program info | course list)
- University of Zurich based in Switzerland (program info | course list)
How does the credit work?
UMD will award transfer credit for courses taken through the above pre-approved programs. Refer to the Study Abroad Database (SACD) for details on the status of approval for each course, including credit conversions.
What is the cost?
UMD students will enroll directly at one of our partner universities and pay any associated tuition and fees directly. Many program costs are less than tuition at UMD for the summer. In addition, a $500 EA fee will be charged if you decide to transfer the course back to UMD.
Virtual internship with an international organization
SIT - School for International Training Summer Online Internships
- Jordan: Virtual Internship in Counseling & Humanitarian Action
- Kenya: Virtual Internship in Public Health in the Tropics
- Netherlands: Online Internship in Sexuality and Gender
- Serbia and Kosovo: Virtual Internship in Transitional Justice, Human Rights, and Memory
- South Africa: Virtual Internship in Social Justice & Activism
Credit for an SIT Internship
Students seeking credit for the SIT internship and course can enroll in UMD’s course EDCP386 for 5 credits.
SIT internship placement and program fees range from $1,000 - $2,000 and cover a confirmed placement with an international organization, mentorship from an SIT faculty member and academic director, and learning material and activities. For students concurrently enrolling in UMD’s EDCP386 for 5 credits, there is an additional $500 charge.
Questions about SIT internship placements? Contact UMD’s representative, Javonni McGlaurin - email@example.com.
CAPA Global Education Network
Global Internship Placements - Barcelona, Buenos Aires, Dublin, Florence, London, Shanghai or Sydney
CAPA offers internship placements across the globe in a range of fields, including advertising & PR, business, data analytics, game design & development, IT & computer systems, sports management and video editing & animation.
Credit for a CAPA Internship
ARHU students seeking credit for the CAPA internship and course can enroll in UMD’s course ARHU286 or ARHU486 to earn 3 credits.
Students in other colleges interested in earning credit for a CAPA internship should contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submit a short registration form (click on the “Apply Now” button at the top of this page) to let EA know that you’re interested in one of these opportunities. An EA advisor will follow up with you to provide more details on earning credit at UMD for your selected opportunity.
- Apply directly with the program partner.
Questions? Don’t hesitate to reach out to us at email@example.com.