UMD: A Globally Connected University
J-1 Student Intern Eligibility
Internship programs are offered to graduate students and undergraduate students who have a degree requirement for practical field experience. Internship programs provide unique opportunities for interns to gain practical experience on the process of conducting research in their academic field. The U.S. internship must fulfill the educational objectives for the intern’s degree program at his or her home institution.
The Student Intern program is a structured work-based learning program that:
- Reinforces an intern’s academic study,
- Exposes the intern to American techniques, methodologies, and expertise and expands their knowledge and skills, and
- Enhances the intern’s knowledge of American culture and society
|Arts and Culture
Management and Business
Counseling and Social Services
Commerce and Finance
|Information Media and Communications
Public Administration and Law
The student intern must meet the following requirements:
- Verifiable English language skills
- Primarily in the United States to engage in a student internship program rather than to engage in employment
- Intern is in good academic standing with the post-secondary academic institution outside the United States
- Intern will return to the academic program and fulfill and obtain a degree; program end date must be at least 30 days before degree completion
- Provide evidence of sufficient finances
Length of Program
- The minimum length of an intern program is three weeks; the maximum length is 12 months per degree/major. No extensions beyond the 12 months are permitted.
- The internship program must be full-time with a minimum of 32 hours a week.
- The intern must be currently enrolled in and pursuing a degree at a degree-or certificate-granting post-secondary academic institution outside the U.S.
- Certification of good academic standing with his/her institution.
- Certification that the internship program at the University of Maryland, College Park will fulfill the educational objectives for your current degree program.
Their degree information must be verified by the following:
- Transcript copy
- A Home Institution Certification from their academic institution
The J-1 Student Intern must possess English language skills sufficient to function on a day-to-day basis and to successfully participate in their program. English language proficiency can be verified through one of the following:
- English language Tests
- English language test - TOEFL with a minimum score of 80
- English language test - IELTS with a minimum score of 5.5
- TOEIC Listening and Reading Test with a minimum score of 400 on listening and 400 on reading
- English Proficiency Interview can be conducted by one of the following:
- Maryland English Institute
- Overview of MEI process
- Purchase a voucher and schedule an appointment
- Hosting department Supervisor/Faculty
- For citizens of English speaking countries, we will not require additional documentation. We will ask that departments email us a copy of the highest degree earned, which is already collected during the hiring process. Click here to view a list of English Speaking Countries.
Student Interns must provide financial support of $1,000 per month. Personal finances can be documented with a bank letter that is signed by a bank official on bank stationery, or with a recent bank statement.
*Student Interns with program dates of 8/1/17 or later must provide financial support of $1,500 per month.
To be eligible for another internship program, UMD will review the following eligibility requirements:
- Repeat participation is limited to 12 months per degree/major.
- The internship must fulfill the educational objectives for the intern’s degree program at his or her home institution.
- The intern must be enrolled in and pursuing a degree at a degree-or certificate-granting post-secondary academic institution outside the U.S.
- The intern must be in good academic standing with his/her institution.
- The intern is not eligible for employment at the University of Maryland following the completion of the internship.