UMD: A Globally Connected University
Frequently Asked Questions
- I applied for undergraduate admission. What is the status of my application?
- I applied graduate admission. What is the status of my application?
- I need help with my Directory ID, UID, or SID.
- Am I required to take an English Proficiency Exam?
- What are my housing options?
- I have a new email address. How do I update my contact information?
- When can I register for orientation?
- How do I defer my admission?
DS-2019 / I-20 / VISA
- I have not received my I-20 yet. When can I expect it?
- Will my VISA be granted?
- When should I make my Visa appointment/travel arrangements?
- I am a high school student studying in the U.S. on a student visa. I was admitted to the university. What should I do to get my I20 from the University of Maryland?
- I am currently studying at a community college and was admitted to the University. What is the next step to receive my I20 from the University of Maryland?
Faculty and Scholar
- I would like to meet with an ISSS advisor. When can I meet with them?
- I am in J1 status and I would like to know if it is ok if I travel home for more than 30 days?
- What is the status of my H-1B extension?
- I have been offered a faculty/research position at the university. I am currently overseas. What is the next step?
- I am interested in filing for permanent residency on my own. Can you refer me to an attorney?
- I am working for the university conducting research and/or teaching. Will the university sponsor me for permanent residency?
- I am traveling outside of the US, what do I need to do to prepare?
- What does it mean if I am subject to 212(e)? How can I tell?
- How can my family join me in the US? What documents do they need?
- Why does my visa stamp have different dates than my DS-2019?
- What type of health insurance should I buy? Am I required to buy insurance?
- How do I get my UID?
- I want to come to the University of Maryland to conduct research. How do I get a DS-2019?
Insurance, Finance, Immunization
- Do I have to purchase insurance?
- Can you recommend a health insurance plan?
- What immunizations do I need?
- What are the financial requirements for admission?
- How can I apply for financial aid? Are scholarships available for international students?
Optional Practical Training (OPT)
- Do I need to add/update my OPT information in SEVIS?
- Am I eligible for OPT/STEM?
- I want to attend an OPT workshop. What should I do?
- My OPT is ending early. What should I do?
- My OPT information has changed. What should I do?
- Can I travel on OPT before receiving an EAD?
- How do I transfer to another school?
- How/When do I need to verify my information in SEVIS?
- Do I need a Social Security Number (SSN)? Why?
- How do I obtain a copy of my transcript?
- How do I make an appointment with an ISSS advisor?
- How can I get a driver's license?
- I was unable to get my license? I was issued a license for only 8 months?
- I have a question regarding my taxes.
- How can I get an invitation letter for my family/friends to visit?