UMD: A Globally Connected University

Frequently Asked Questions about Taxes

The deadline for filing 2018 Federal Tax Returns is
Monday, April 15, 2019.


FAQ'S for Non-Residents for Tax Purposes


Return to Top

►  What is the deadline for filing my 2018 tax forms?

The deadline for filing your 2018 Federal Tax Return is Monday, April 15, 2019.  Your envelope must be postmarked by 11:59pm on that day.


Return to Top

►  What assistance does the University provide?

  • GLACIER Tax Prep can be used free of charge by F-1/F-2 and J-1/J-2 status holders to prepare their U.S. Federal income tax return.  

    To access GLACIER Tax Prep:

    1. Log into your iTerp account at (For assistance in logging into iTerp, click here.)
    2. Click Insurance and Finances > Glacier Tax Preparation
    3. Read over the documentation needed.  Click Access Glacier Tax Prep.  You will be redirected to Glacier's website to login with your existing Glacier account or create a new one.  


  • TerpTax is a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) chapter with a team of undergraduate and graduate students from the UMD R. H. Smith Business School who provide free income tax preparation assistance for students and community members.


Return to Top

►  What forms do I need to file my Federal tax return?

  • If you were working (ex: graduate assistantship, hourly on-campus position) in 2018:
    • You will be sent a W-2 statement (January 31)
  • If you received a scholarship/fellowship OR you are claiming a tax exemption due to a TAX TREATY in 2018
    • You will be sent a 1042S form (March 15)

If you need to request a Duplicate W-2 or 1042-S, go to Central Payroll Bureau's Payroll Services for State Agencies website and follow instructions.


Return to Top

►  How do I start filing my taxes?

  • Federal - First complete your federal tax return. Information from this form is required to complete your State tax return. Login to Glacier Tax Prep (following the instructions above) to complete your Federal tax return.
  • Form 8843 Required - This form is generated by Glacier Tax Prep.
  • State - For assistance with the State tax return, you can get assistance from:
    • TAP - For graduate students only
    • MSLC VITA at R. H. Smith Business School


Return to Top

►  Am I Resident or Non-Resident Alien for Tax Purposes?

Login in to Glacier Tax Prep (following the instructions above) to determine your tax status.  If you are a Nonresident Alien for  Tax Purposes (NRA), you should use Glacier Tax Prep to complete your Federal tax return. Only NRAs can use Glacier Tax Prep.  If you are a Resident Alien for Tax Purposes, you can use TAP or MSLC VITA resources to help you with completing your tax return.


Return to Top

►  Can I file my Federal tax return electronically?

No, you must print, sign and postmark you tax return no later than 11:59 pm on Monday, April 15, 2019. The address to file your tax return if no payment is required:

Department of Treasury
Internal Revenue Service Center
Austin, TX 73301-0215, U.S.A.

Remember to keep photocopies of all documents you send to the IRS.

If you need to submit a payment with your tax return, see page 3 "Where to File" - Instructions for Form 1040 NR-EZ(2018)

Return to Top

International Student & Scholar Services provides this tax resource information to UM students and scholars for informational and educational purposes and not as a substitute for advice obtained from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) or a qualified tax professional. Students and scholars who have questions about their income tax situation should consult a qualified tax professional. Each person is responsible for the accuracy of his/her income tax returns and any resulting penalties or interest.