UMD: A Globally Connected University
International Student Orientation
International Student Orientation for Fall 2019 will be held Monday, August 19 - Friday, August 23 . To accommodate students' varying schedules, the required Immigration Session is repeated multiple times.
- Early F-1 Immigration Sessions for transfer students ONLY will be offered on Fridays @ 3:30pm-5:00pm on May 10, June 14 & July 19, 2019
- Early F-1 Immigration Sessions for new & transfer students will be offered @10:00am-11:30am on August 2 ,August 9, August 12, August 13, August 14 & August 15.
- F-1 Immigration Sessions for new & transfer students will be offered on the following dates. Click on the appropriate schedule below for location and times.
During the week of orientation, F-1/J-1 Immigration Sessions (for both transfer and newly admit students) will be offered. Choose the best date that works for you and register in advance via iTerp since space may be limited.
- Login into your iTerp account
- After logging in, from the left menu select, Register for Orientation. More detailed instructions with screenshots on registration are here.
- Sign up for orientation events under Session Signups.
- You may then print your customized schedule by returning to the Register for Orientation menu.
For an idea of what will be offered, feel free to print the anticipated schedule of events below.
Orientation Schedule at a Glance
What happens during International Student Orientation?
Required ISSS Immigration Session
As your Immigration Sponsor, ISSS must report your arrival to UMD in the government’s SEVIS system. During the Immigration Session, ISSS Advisors will explain how this works and what steps you need to take as a new student to ensure your F-1/J-1 record is “activated” in SEVIS. We will also explain immigration regulations to maintain your legal F-1/J-1 status while at UMD. Please arrive a few minutes early to sign in with our staff, as attendance is recorded for this important session. We look forward to meeting you soon!
Optional Orientation Week Sessions, Trips, and Social Events
ISSS also hopes you will have fun and meet new friends at Orientation! Optional educational and social events are offered to aid your transition to life at UMD and in the College Park area. Space may also be limited at these events, so register via iTerp if you are committed to attending.
Transportation for Orientation
Most ISSS Orientation events are held in Edward St. John but you should check the schedule to ensure there have been no changes. Please plan accordingly to be on time.
A good interactive walking map is terpnav.umd.edu.
Information on campus parking lots and parking passes is available through Department of Transportation Services (DOTS) located in the Regents Garage.
Download maps and transportation apps here.
Disability Support for Orientation
If you require any disability support to attend ISSS Orientation, please contact Disability Support Services at http://counseling.umd.edu/DSS.