UMD: A Globally Connected University

Fulbright Opportunities for Non-U.S. Citizen Students


Non-U.S. citizen students wishing to apply for a Fulbright grant in order to come to the University of Maryland should contact the Fulbright Commission in their home country, which is oftentimes housed at the U.S. Embassy there. A list of the various Fulbright Commissions is available online. Explore the possibilities:

  • The Fulbright Foreign Student Program enables graduate students, young professionals, and artists from abroad to research and study in the United States for one year or longer at U.S. universities or other appropriate institutions.  A wide variety of programs are available, depending upon your country of origin. Consult the individual page for your country to see what you can do.
  • The International Fulbright Science and Technology Award is a part of the Fulbright Foreign Student Program and supports doctoral study at leading U.S. institutions in science, technology, engineering, or related fields for outstanding foreign students.
  • The Foreign Language Teaching Assistant (FLTA) Program provides young teachers of English as a Foreign Language around the world the opportunity to refine their teaching skills and broaden their knowledge of American cultures and customs while strengthening the instruction of their native language at colleges and universities in the United States.