UMD: A Globally Connected University
Maryland Social Entrepreneur Corps
“Empowering Communities Through Social Innovation”
The Maryland Social Entrepreneur Corps (MSEC) is a structured social impact immersion program where UMD students engage and work directly with communities throughout Latin America observing, creating and implementing sustainable entrepreneurial solutions to complex challenges. Through transformative experiential learning, MSEC aims to prepare students with the knowledge, skills, attitudes, and experiences to become engaged global citizens—leaders with a sense of social responsibility who embrace challenges with optimism, passion, and innovative thinking.
This program is administered by UMD Education Abroad (EA) in partnership with various academic units on campus and community-based organizations abroad.
With the support of the Office of International Affairs and the Dingman Center for Entrepreneurship within the Robert H. Smith School of Business, Education Abroad is offering two MSEC internship programs for Summer 2018: Ecuador and Guatemala.
MSEC participants will spend eight weeks during the summer working alongside experienced development professionals in the field as they empower, train, and support local social entrepreneurs in starting new businesses and creating first-time access to affordable life-changing technologies, products, and services for rural communities. Students will earn nine credits and invaluable international civic engagement experience through participation in this program. Students from all majors are encouraged to apply!
To participate in this program, students must apply through EA. Students can read about each program and start an application here:
Recommend this unique civic engagement and entrepreneurial program to students who:
- have a sincere desire to make a direct and measurable contribution to rural development work in Latin America focused on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG’s).
- are interested in learning adaptive leadership, collaborative entrepreneurship, social innovation design and consulting skills.
- are looking for an experiential learning opportunity that takes them outside the classroom to do innovative rural development work.
- want to engage directly with marginalized communities to empower individuals to improve their own lives.
- are comfortable living for an extended period in a developing rural environment without regular access to the Internet or running water.
- want to develop the confidence needed to translate knowledge and ideas into action.
- are interested in learning or improving their Spanish language skills.
Interested in partnering with EA in developing a new MSEC civic engagement program abroad? Please contact Jennifer Precht, associate director at Education Abroad.