UMD: A Globally Connected University
Health Insurance (J-1)
As a J-1 Exchange Visitor in the United States, you are required to carry health insurance for yourself and your J-2 dependents for the full duration of your J-1 program. Government regulations stipulate that if you willfully fail to carry health insurance for yourself and your dependents, your J-1 sponsor must terminate your program, and report the termination to the United States Department of State (DOS) in Washington.
While you hold J-1 or J-2 status, you are required to carry the following type and amounts of coverage:
Accident or illness coverage
|$100,000 minimum for each accident or illness|
- If you are paid by UMD, you may be eligible to enroll in the UMD Benefits Plan. Please check with your department contact for benefits eligibility. The UMD Benefits Plan will not cover medical evacuation and repatriation, so you will need to enroll in this plan separately at the University Health Center.
- If you are unpaid, you will be required to enroll in the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) through the University Health Center. This insurance plan will cover your health insurance and the required medical evacuation and repatriation insurance. To enroll in this insurance, you will need a letter from ISSS confirming the dates of your J-1 program. Please contact a scholar advisor to obtain this letter.
- If you have dependents and they will arrive in the US after you, please contact ISSS for more information about your dependents’ enrollment.
|Paid by University of Maryland (Check with Department for eligibility)|
|Maryland Benefits Plan||All insurance plans offered meet health insurance requirements.
To enroll in medical evacuation and repatriation coverage, you may purchase a supplemental policy through the university health center.
|Contact your department or view the University Human Resources benefit information.|
|Not Paid by the University of Maryland|
|UMD Student Health Insurance
This insurance meets all of the requirements and specifications.
As a J-1 scholar you are eligible to purchase UMD student health insurance.
This can be done at the health center with a letter from ISSS.
To enroll, visit the University Health Center in person or visit the University Health Center website for more information.
Additional Health Insurance information
To access the information about the insurance coverage, please follow the instructions below:
- Go to http://health.umd.edu/insurance-info and click the link for FirstStudent.
- Select “University of Maryland – College Park.”
- Select “Graduate Students” on the menu on the left. J-1 Scholars will enroll in the same plan as UMD graduate students.
- Click “Review Brochures.”
- Click “Summary of Benefits & Coverage.”