UMD: A Globally Connected University
Confucius Classrooms are centers for Chinese culture and language granted to K-12 schools and mentored by Confucius Institutes. Schools can establish Confucius Classrooms by applying for funding from Hanban for this specific purpose and by agreeing to sustain a Chinese language and culture program. These programs can range from grades K-5, 6-8, 9-12, or any combination.
The Confucius Institute at Maryland has 10 active Confucius Classrooms:
- Allegany County High School, Cumberland, Allegany County. One of three public high schools, 9-12, in Allegany County, all committed to improvement on assessment test scores in support of student achievement and academic success.
- Baltimore International Academy, Elementary-Middle School Chinese Program, Baltimore City Public Schools, Baltimore County. A free, public charter school offering both language immersion and the International Baccalaureate (IB) program in Grades K-8. Students choose one of five language immersion tracks (Spanish, Chinese, Arabic, Russian, or French) and become fully immersed in their target language for their entire career at BIA.
- Barrie School, Silver Spring, Montgomery County. An independent school serving ages 18 months to grade 12; the Lower School provides an exemplary Montessori program, and the Middle and Upper Schools pursue a more traditional academic curriculum, but with a strong emphasis on experiential and service learning.
- Centennial High School, Ellicott City, Howard County. A public 9-12 school that provides an environment for developing responsibility, integrity, self-respect, and respect for others; for nurturing a desire to be a lifelong learner; for fostering a sense of community; and that upholds an emphasis on academic and personal excellence.
- Garrison Forest School, Owings Mills, Baltimore County. A private girls’ school with K-6, middle, and high school programs. GF challenges students to strive for academic excellence and grow into independent and creative thinkers; cultivates students with a resilient sense of self; and creates a diverse and inclusive community.
- Meade High School, Ft. Meade, Anne Arundel County. A public, IB World School, offering the IB Middle Years program to all students in grades 9-10, and the IB Diploma program to students in grades 11-12, and is committed to graduating students who can communicate effectively in a second language as well as in English.
- Paint Branch Elementary School, College Park, Prince George’s County. A public, K-6 school not far from the University of Maryland. Paint Branch ES is committed to ensuring that all students acquire the knowledge and skills needed to become productive citizens and lifelong learners.
- Rockville High School, Rockville, Montgomery County. A public, 9-12, international IB World School. Three special education programs are also housed there, including Autism, Learning for Independence (LFI), and the only secondary deaf/hard-of-hearing program in the county.
- West Side Elementary School, Cumberland, Allegany County. Is a public, PK-5, with Chinese partial immersion in K, and Chinese through grade 5.
- YuYing Public Charter School, Washington, D.C. A K-5 public charter school, aiming to spark the fire of lifelong learning by providing a world class education for students; was the first public school in Washington, D.C. to offer Chinese language immersion.