UMD: A Globally Connected University
UMD Exchange: Macquarie University (Australia)
All students accepted to an Exchange program are automatically considered for an award of $1,000! See Cost tab for more information.
Enroll at Macquarie University, nicknamed the "Innovative University" for its flexible learning programs and unparalleled student support services. Uniquely located in the heart of Australia’s largest high-tech precinct, Macquarie University was founded in 1964 and has risen to be a progressive and influential institution both locally and internationally. Macquarie’s beautiful 310-acre, park-like campus is set within Sydney’s Northern suburbs connected by public transport, and only 30 minutes by train directly from campus to downtown Sydney.
Macquarie University is located in the state of New South Wales in the most famous city within Australia, and Sydney offers a cosmopolitan city center of close to 5 million people. The vibrant cultural activities and attractions, sparkling beaches, such as the famous Bondi Beach, and dramatic national parks will keep exchange students busy during their time in Australia. Sydney is a dynamic cultural hub with many internationally known museums and galleries, local markets, festivals, and some of Australia's largest social and cultural events, with so many activities free of charge. And don't forget to visit the Sydney Opera House, try surfing and attend a rugby game!
Macquarie University CRICOS Code 00002J
Exchange programs are highly competitive and space in each program is limited. You must meet the following eligibility requirements in order to apply to this program:
- 3.0 GPA
- Completion of 2 semesters at UMD
Exchange programs are a good fit for students looking for immersion, personal growth, and the opportunity to strengthen qualities such as independence and adaptability.
Student Visa Information
A student visa is required for participation on this exchange. For more information, please visit our study abroad visa guide to view instructions for the country you will be visiting. Please note that visa information is subject to change and you are responsible for checking the embassy website for updates.
- Click "Apply Now" at the top of this page. You will log in with your UMD directory ID and password.
- Submit all application materials by the deadline listed below. This includes meeting with your EA advisor (listed at the top of this page), and may include requesting a faculty letter of recommendation, and submitting an official transcript. If a letter of recommendation and/or official transcript are required, it will be listed in MyEA once you start an application for this program.
- After the application deadline, we will review all completed applications and nominate students for available spots in each exchange program.
- If you are nominated to participate in this exchange, you will work with your EA advisor (listed above) to apply directly to the host university, who will formally admit you to the exchange program. Nominated students must complete the host university application in accordance with the host university’s stated deadlines and instructions.
- Nominated students will then work with their EA advisor (listed above) and our partner universities to coordinate all aspects of the stay at the host university such as course registration, visas and arrival.
Visit the Academics & Study Abroad page which outlines key considerations for your academic planning as you navigate different phases of study abroad:
- Pre-Departure Course Selection & Approval
- Finalizing Course Enrollment Abroad
- Transcripts and Credits on your UMD Record
Courses are available in more than 34 departments including business and economics, human and biological sciences, and the arts. Some courses are restricted and not available to exchange students. Please check the Macquarie website to view the list of restricted courses.
Exchange students are invited to participate in Macquarie's Global Leadership Program (GLP). Build your international knowledge and professional skills during your study abroad experience with the GLP which entails attending five three-hour workshops and a GLP-approved keynote event.
There may be other course offerings on this program that are not currently listed in the Study Abroad Course Database (SACD). If you are interested in taking a course not listed in the SACD, please submit a transfer credit evaluation request.
All credit you earn on this program will count as transfer credit towards your UMD degree. Most courses at Macquarie University will be converted as follows:
|Macquarie University Credit||UMD Credit|
|1 Macquarie Credit||1.33 UMD Credits|
|3 Macquarie Credits||4 UMD Credits|
The conversion above was last approved by the UMD Transfer Credit Committee on June 5, 2014.
Undergraduates must receive a C- equivalent or better in order to be eligible for the transfer of credit.
|Macquarie University Grade||UMD Grade|
Macquarie University offers guaranteed housing in shared flats, private residential colleges, and off-campus shared units. Housing applications are due 6 weeks before the semester starts. Additional information and options are available at http://www.students.mq.edu.au/support/accommodation/home/.
UMD students participating in an Exchange program have the benefit of paying UMD tuition rates to attend an institution abroad. For specific information about this Exchange program, please reference the Cost of Attendance Chart.
Tuition and fees for exchange programs are charged directly to your UMD account, which means you can apply UMD scholarships, state and federal financial aid, and alternative loans towards the cost of an exchange. Housing costs are paid directly to the host institution or on-site housing agency.
You can use the cost of attendance comparison worksheet to view how study abroad programs compare to each other and the amount you pay on campus at UMD. As always, your EA advisor (listed above) is available to help you complete this worksheet and find affordable programs that fit your study abroad goals.
All students accepted to an Exchange program are considered for an automatic award of $1,000! To be considered for this scholarship, you must:
- Be a current degree seeking undergraduate UMD student (graduate students are not eligible for this award)
- Not currently receive full tuition scholarship/benefits (i.e. Banneker Key, tuition remission, Frederick Douglass Scholarship, etc.)
Additional Financial Resources
Maximize your time abroad by taking advantage of resources at your host institution!
Student Clubs and Organizations
Macquarie University offers a variety of groups and sports clubs for students to participate in.
Orientation week is provided to welcome you to the campus, experience life on campus, and make friends!
*These resource guides provide general information about services at UMD’s partner institution. For more information, consult your EA advisor.
|Term||Year||Application Deadline||Admission Notification||Program Start||Program End|