UMD: A Globally Connected University
UMD Exchange: University of Vienna (Austria)
All students accepted to an Exchange program are automatically considered for an award of $1,000! See Cost tab for more information.
Founded by Duke Rudolph IV in 1365, the University of Vienna is the oldest university in the German-speaking world and one of the largest in Europe. Approximately 91,000 students are currently enrolled at the University of Vienna; the university offers more than 180 different fields of study and it is the largest teaching and research institution in Austria. Research and teaching at the University of Vienna cover a wide spectrum of scientific disciplines. The University of Vienna aims to maintain this broad spectrum of disciplines, to promote new and innovative fields of research and to create stronger links and interconnections between disciplines.
Settled in the midst of continental Europe, the University of Vienna is located in Vienna, Austria. As a beautiful city with immense political and cultural history, it's the perfect location for an academic exchange. Vienna is the capital and largest city in Austria with approximately 2 million residents. The city center is a UNESCO World Heritage site that was home to many famous philosopher, musicians, and artists, including Sigmund Freud, Wolfgang Amadeus and Gustav Klimt.
Exchange programs are highly competitive and space in each program is limited. You must meet the following eligibility requirements in order to apply to this program:
- 3.0 GPA
- Completion of 2 semesters at UMD
- Ability to read, write, and understand German fluently
Exchange programs are a good fit for students looking for immersion, personal growth, and the opportunity to strengthen qualities such as independence and adaptability.
Student Visa Information
A student visa is required for participation on this exchange. For more information, please visit our study abroad visa guide to view instructions for the country you will be visiting. Please note that visa information is subject to change and you are responsible for checking the embassy website for updates.
- Click "Apply Now" at the top of this page. You will log in with your UMD directory ID and password.
- Submit all application materials by the deadline listed below. This includes meeting with your EA advisor (listed at the top of this page), requesting a faculty letter of recommendation, and submitting an official transcript.
- FOR ENGR GE3 ONLY: If you are applying for a Global E3 exchange, you will need to submit an additional GE3 application by the deadline listed on their website.
- After the application deadline, we will review all completed applications and nominate students for available spots in each exchange program.
- If you are nominated to participate in this exchange, you will work with your EA advisor (listed above) to apply directly to the host university, who will formally admit you to the exchange program.
- Nominated students will then work with their EA advisor (listed above) and our partner universities to coordinate all aspects of the stay at the host university such as course registration, visas and arrival.
The University of Vienna offers a wide range of fields of study. In most courses the language of instruction is German. There are a number of departments that offer coursework in English and include Law, English and American Studies, History, Political Science, Anthropology, and Philosophy. The full list of courses offered in English are listed on the University of Vienna website for incoming exchange students. Please note that course offerings in English change each semester. You should also review the website of the international office as they will post the link for the most recent courses offered in English.
The University does offer preparatory intensive German courses in September and February before the semester begins. An additional fee is required for these courses but students from an exchange partner receive a 20% discount. Visit the Language Center website to learn more.
All credit you earn on this program will count as transfer credit towards your UMD degree. Most courses at the University of Vienna will be converted as follows:
|University of Vienna credit||UMD credit|
|1 ECTS x .5||1 UMD credit|
|6 ECTS x .5||3 UMD credit|
The chart above was last approved by the UMD Transfer Credit Committee on July 9, 2015.
You can view how courses at this institution have previously been evaluated for UMD equivalents through the Transfer Credit Services Equivalency Database (TCEQ). If you are interested in taking a course not listed on TCEQ, you may have it evaluated for acceptability by following the UMD Registrar’s evaluation request guidelines.
Undergraduates must receive a C- equivalent or better in order to be eligible for the transfer of credit.
|University of Vienna Grade||UMD Grade|
All students accepted to an Exchange program are considered for an automatic award of $1,000!
To be considered for this scholarship, you must:
- Be a current degree seeking undergraduate UMD student (graduate students are not eligible for this award)
- Not currently receive full tuition scholarship/benefits (i.e. Banneker Key, tuition remission, TAES, etc.)
- If you have a completed FAFSA on file and wish to be considered for need based aid in addition to the automatic award, complete the EA fund form by the deadline.
UMD students participating in an Exchange have the benefit of paying UMD tuition rates to attend an institution abroad. For specific information on the cost of attending this Exchange, please see the UMD Exchange Cost Sheet
Tuition and fees for exchange programs are charged directly to your UMD account, which means you can apply UMD scholarships, state and federal financial aid, and alternative loans towards the cost of an exchange. Housing costs are paid directly to the host institution or on-site housing agency.
You can use the cost of attendance comparison worksheet to view how study abroad programs compare to each other and the amount you pay on campus at UMD. As always, your EA advisor (listed above) is available help you complete this worksheet and find affordable programs that fit your study abroad goals.
Please refer to the following resources for more information on funding study abroad:
|Term||Year||Application Deadline||Admission Notification||Program Start||Program End|
|Dates reflect information that is available on the program sponsor website. Please confirm with program sponsor/host university before making your travel plans.|