UMD: A Globally Connected University
UMD Exchange: Lancaster University (United Kingdom)
All students accepted to an Exchange program are automatically considered for an award of $1,000! See Cost tab for more information.
Lancaster University will appeal to students looking for an intimate experience in the UK. In a recent survey, exchange students at Lancaster rated the "friendly campus" as the thing they loved most about their Lancaster experience.
Lancaster University is one of the United Kingdom’s top universities given it’s consistently high ranking in the UK league tables and is established as a world player in research and teaching. University accommodation is guaranteed to non EU study abroad and exchange students. The Lancaster campus is one of the safest in the UK. The Study Abroad Programme is fully integrated and you will study and live alongside UK and other international students.
Learn more about Lancaster with their online brochure.
Lancaster University is located near the old city of Lancaster in northern England. A pedestrian city, Lancaster offers all of the amenities of a modern city while maintaining its historic charm. Situated close to the internationally renowned scenery of the Lake District and the Yorkshire Dales, Lancaster is one hour’s train ride from Manchester, two hours from Edinburgh and 2.5 hours from London.
Lord of the Rings was written in Lancaster and the scenery depicted in the book is based on the green hills and age-old trees of the surrounding region.
Exchange programs are highly competitive and space in each program is limited. You must meet the following eligibility requirements in order to apply to this program:
- 3.0 GPA
- Completion of 2 semesters at UMD
Exchange programs are a good fit for students looking for immersion, personal growth, and the opportunity to strengthen qualities such as independence and adaptability.
Student Visa Information
A student visa is required for participation on this exchange. For more information, please visit our study abroad visa guide to view instructions for the country you will be visiting. Please note that visa information is subject to change and you are responsible for checking the embassy website for updates.
- Click "Apply Now" at the top of this page. You will log in with your UMD directory ID and password.
- Submit all application materials by the deadline listed below. This includes meeting with your EA advisor (listed at the top of this page), and may include requesting a faculty letter of recommendation, and submitting an official transcript. If a letter of recommendation and/or official transcript are required, it will be listed in MyEA once you start an application for this program.
- After the application deadline, we will review all completed applications and nominate students for available spots in each exchange program.
- If you are nominated to participate in this exchange, you will work with your EA advisor (listed above) to apply directly to the host university, who will formally admit you to the exchange program. Nominated students must complete the host university application in accordance with the host university’s stated deadlines and instructions.
- Nominated students will then work with their EA advisor (listed above) and our partner universities to coordinate all aspects of the stay at the host university such as course registration, visas and arrival.
Visit the Academics & Study Abroad page which outlines key considerations for your academic planning as you navigate different phases of study abroad:
- Pre-Departure Course Selection & Approval
- Finalizing Course Enrollment Abroad
- Transcripts and Credits on your UMD Record
Courses are available in over 30 departments including science and technology, business and management, arts and social sciences, biomedicine and health.
There may be other course offerings on this program that are not currently listed in the Study Abroad Course Database (SACD). If you are interested in taking a course not listed in the SACD, please submit a transfer credit evaluation request.
All credit you earn on this program will count as transfer credit towards your UMD degree. Most courses at Lancaster University will be converted as follows:
|Lancaster University Credit||UMD Credit|
|1 Lancaster Credit||1 UMD Credit|
|4 Lancaster Credits||4 UMD Credits|
The chart above was last approved by the UMD Transfer Credit Committee on June 10, 2014.
Undergraduates must receive a C- equivalent or better in order to be eligible for the transfer of credit.
|Lancaster University Grade||UMD Grade|
|9 or 3rd class honors||C -|
Lancaster is one of a small number of UK universities to have a college system. There are eight undergraduate colleges where you can live. The Colleges are more than halls of residence. They are one of the most distinctive and valued features of the University – eight individual communities with their own identity, administration, student executive, social scene and facilities.
Lancaster University houses international students in one of their many Colleges (university dormitories). Housing is guaranteed and students will get a choice of housing once they are accepted. Featured options shown are here: http://www.lancs.ac.uk/study/accommodation/undergraduate-accommodation/
On campus you will find everything you need for your academic studies and your social live, including grocery stores, banks, a bakery, travel agency, health center, pharmacy, dentist, and Post Office, as well as many cafe bars, dinings spaces, and take away food outlets. There is also a cinema, 24 hour learning library, and a fantastic sports center.
Take a virtual tour of campus here: http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/virtual-tour/
UMD students participating in an Exchange program have the benefit of paying UMD tuition rates to attend an institution abroad. For specific information about this Exchange program, please reference the Cost of Attendance Chart.
Tuition and fees for exchange programs are charged directly to your UMD account, which means you can apply UMD scholarships, state and federal financial aid, and alternative loans towards the cost of an exchange. Housing costs are paid directly to the host institution or on-site housing agency.
You can use the cost of attendance comparison worksheet to view how study abroad programs compare to each other and the amount you pay on campus at UMD. As always, your EA advisor (listed above) is available to help you complete this worksheet and find affordable programs that fit your study abroad goals.
All students accepted to an Exchange program are considered for an automatic award of $1,000! To be considered for this scholarship, you must:
- Be a current degree seeking undergraduate UMD student (graduate students are not eligible for this award)
- Not currently receive full tuition scholarship/benefits (i.e. Banneker Key, tuition remission, Frederick Douglass Scholarship, etc.)
Additional Financial Resources
Maximize your time abroad by taking advantage of resources at your host institution!
Student Clubs and Organizations
There are over 175 societies covering a huge range of activities, hobbies, and causes that students can participate in at Lancaster University. Lancaster University is also home to over 100 recreational groups that students can consider joining.
Lancaster University offers a Welcome Week specifically for Study Abroad and Exchange students. The program includes a variety of activities and takes place the week before term starts.
*These resource guides provide general information about services at UMD’s partner institution. For more information, consult your EA advisor.
|Term||Year||Application Deadline||Admission Notification||Program Start||Program End|