UMD: A Globally Connected University
UMD Exchange: Uppsala University (Sweden)
All students accepted to an Exchange program are automatically considered for an award of $1,000! See Cost tab for more information.
Uppsala University, established in 1477, is one of the most prestigious universities in Europe and the oldest university in Sweden. The University is associated with 8 Nobel Prize laureates, in addition to numerous members of royal families, academics, and public figures. At Uppsala University students can find a blend of cutting edge research, age-old tradition, a vibrant student life, and a wide variety of courses taught in English. This, in addition to the Swedish people's generally good knowledge of English, makes Uppsala an attractive option for students wanting to experience a new culture. In fact, the university aids in the integration process by enrolling all incoming international students into the Student Nations system. The Nations were created in the 1600s to foster understanding about Sweden's cultural diversity. Each group in the Nations promotes the culture of one particular region of Sweden through events, field trips and social events.
The city of Uppsala is the fourth largest city in Sweden, located only 45 miles north of Stockholm, Sweden's capital. Uppsala has a blend of the more intimate atmosphere of a smaller town and the vibrancy of a larger city. It's an ideal location for study abroad, as students find it easy to integrate into the local culture. Uppsala is only an hour train ride from Sweden's capital, Stockholm.
Exchange programs are highly competitive and space in each program is limited. You must meet the following eligibility requirements in order to apply to this program:
- 3.0 GPA
- Completion of 2 semesters at UMD
Exchange programs are a good fit for students looking for immersion, personal growth, and the opportunity to strengthen qualities such as independence and adaptability.
Student Visa Information
A student visa is required for participation on this exchange. For more information, please visit our study abroad visa guide to view instructions for the country you will be visiting. Please note that visa information is subject to change and you are responsible for checking the embassy website for updates.
- Click "Apply Now" at the top of this page. You will log in with your UMD directory ID and password.
- Submit all application materials by the deadline listed below. This includes meeting with your EA advisor (listed at the top of this page), requesting a faculty letter of recommendation, and submitting an official transcript.
- FOR ENGR GE3 ONLY: If you are applying for a Global E3 exchange, you will need to submit an additional GE3 application by the deadline listed on their website.
- After the application deadline, we will review all completed applications and nominate students for available spots in each exchange program.
- If you are nominated to participate in this exchange, you will work with your EA advisor (listed above) to apply directly to the host university, who will formally admit you to the exchange program.
- Nominated students will then work with their EA advisor (listed above) and our partner universities to coordinate all aspects of the stay at the host university such as course registration, visas and arrival.
With over 800 classes offered in English, students can choose from classes ranging from the arts, humanities, social sciences, natural sciences, computer science, and math. Courses in Swedish language and culture are also recommended for exchange students. Course offerings can be seen on the university's website.
All credit you earn on this program will count as transfer credit towards your UMD degree. Most courses at Uppsala University will be converted as follows:
|Uppsala University Credit||UMD Credit|
|1 Uppsala credit x .5||1UMD credit|
|7.5 Uppsala credit x .5||3.75 UMD credit|
The chart above was last approved by the UMD Transfer Credit Committee on March 13, 2014.
You can view how courses at this institution have previously been evaluated for UMD equivalents through the Transfer Credit Services Equivalency Database (TCEQ). If you are interested in taking a course not listed on TCEQ, you may have it evaluated for acceptability by following the UMD Registrar’s evaluation request guidelines.
Undergraduates must receive a C- equivalent or better in order to be eligible for the transfer of credit.
|Uppsala University Grade||UMD Grade|
UMD exchange students are given priority for on-campus student housing given that they submit their housing application to their exchange coordinator at Uppsala University on time. The Housing Office is able to offer a range of different rooms in different areas around Uppsala.
For more information about accommodations, see the Housing Office website here: http://www.housingoffice.se/
All students accepted to an Exchange program are considered for an automatic award of $1,000!
To be considered for this scholarship, you must:
- Be a current degree seeking undergraduate UMD student (graduate students are not eligible for this award)
- Not currently receive full tuition scholarship/benefits (i.e. Banneker Key, tuition remission, TAES, etc.)
- If you have a completed FAFSA on file and wish to be considered for need based aid in addition to the automatic award, complete the EA fund form by the deadline.
UMD students participating in an Exchange have the benefit of paying UMD tuition rates to attend an institution abroad. For specific information on the cost of attending this Exchange, please see the UMD Exchange Cost Sheet
Tuition and fees for exchange programs are charged directly to your UMD account, which means you can apply UMD scholarships, state and federal financial aid, and alternative loans towards the cost of an exchange. Housing costs are paid directly to the host institution or on-site housing agency.
You can use the cost of attendance comparison worksheet to view how study abroad programs compare to each other and the amount you pay on campus at UMD. As always, your EA advisor (listed above) is available help you complete this worksheet and find affordable programs that fit your study abroad goals.
Please refer to the following resources for more information on funding study abroad:
|Term||Year||Application Deadline||Admission Notification||Program Start||Program End|
|Dates reflect information that is available on the program sponsor website. Please confirm with program sponsor/host university before making your travel plans.|