UMD: A Globally Connected University
American Councils Abroad: RLASP (ACTR)
Russia fascinates visitors with its enchanting culture, welcoming people and dynamic history. Stretching across Eurasia, the world’s largest country possesses historic cities, timeless natural splendors, dazzling works of art, and vistas of the endless Russian steppe. Study abroad with ACTR for a summer, semester, or year for the amazing opportunity to immerse yourself in Russian language and culture and develop your knowledge of Russian history, politics, and society.
Students accepted to RLASP will select one of the three program sites:
- Moscow, as Russia’s historic capital, has undergone profound transformations in the last 20 years as the city transitioned from its role as center of the Soviet Union to capitalism and the Russian Federation. Home to both the ancient Kremlin and Europe’s tallest skyscraper, Moscow is a dynamic and engaging city in which to live and study. Students in Moscow study at the Moscow International University.
- St. Petersburg was Imperial Russia’s “Window on the West”, and continues to display its rich mosaic of palaces, museums and monuments to this day. Having always been a fascinating blend of Russian and Western elements, St. Petersburg offers students a unique perspective on Russian culture and history. Students in St. Petersburg study at the Russian State Pedagogical University.
- Vladimir is a city in the historic "Golden Ring", the cradle of Russian civilization. A smaller regional capital, Vladimir retains its distinctive Russian identity, ideal for students beginning to study the language, and who are looking for a more immersive cultural experience. Students in Vladimir study at the KORA Center for Russian Language
Please see the ACTR Russia program site for more details on academics, housing, and costs asscoiated with each program location.
To apply to this program, you must complete two main steps:
- Submit a UMD approval application - start by clicking “apply now” at the top of this page. This application allows UMD Education Abroad to approve your study abroad program selection so you may earn credit in a program outside of UMD.
This application will require you to meet with your EA advisor, who will communicate important details related to participating in this program. If you do not complete this application by the stated deadline, you may not receive credit for your study abroad program and will lose your student status for the time you are not studying at UMD.
- Apply directly to the program provider. After receiving UMD approval, you should submit the program application directly to the program sponsor by their deadline. Your program sponsor will determine your official acceptance to a program. You must adhere to the provider's timeline, eligibility standards, and application requirements.
After being accepted to your program, your EA advisor will guide you through the course pre-approval process where you will determine which credits you will fulfill abroad.
UMD partners with American Councils (ACTR) to offer affiliate program options in Russia, the Caucasus and Central Asia. Russian majors and minors frequently participate in the Russian Language and Area Studies Program (RLASP) through ACTR. While you will maintain your UMD student status while you are away, you will work directly with ACTR program staff as a participant on their program. Your EA advisor, listed above, will assist you with this process and can answer your questions about the application process.
Academics on an ACTR program
All ACTR courses are considered for transfer credit. The UMD Russian Department is responsible for determining how ACTR RLASP courses are transferred and applied to the Russian major and minor. Field studies, internships, and other experiential courses require explicit approval by exception from your academic advisor or college advising office for credit transfer.
UMD uses the following conversion to assess how many credits you will get from this program:
|ACTR/Bryn Mawr Units||UMD Credits|
|.5 units||2 credits|
|1 unit||4 credits|
|1.5 units||6 credits|
Transcript from an ACTR Program
UMD will require the ACTR School of Record transcript from Bryn Mawr College in order to apply your study abroad credits to your UMD degree. This should be sent to Education Abroad at the end of your semester abroad. ACTR will provide more Information on how to request this transcript.
Costs & Billing for an ACTR program
The affiliate program costs apply to this program. More details about the specific fees for this program are available on the ACTR program webpage.
As part of your program application to ACTR, you will pay the $1,500 deposit fee to ACTR directly. The remaining ACTR program fees will be charged to your UMD student account. You will be able to use any financial aid you from UMD towards these charges.
Extra charges such as on-site living expenses or costs for activities will be paid directly to ACTR.
|Term||Year||Application Deadline||Admission Notification||Program Start||Program End|
|Dates reflect information that is available on the program sponsor website. Please confirm with program sponsor/host university before making your travel plans.|