UMD: A Globally Connected University
The Education Abroad Network (TEAN): Australian Environment, Wildlife, and Conservation
Australian Environment, Wildlife and Conversation Summer Program with TEAN
- Learn from leading expert Australian faculty as well as environmentally-minded guest speakers in this well-established program that's run for more than two decades
- Traverse the country staying in some of Australia’s top destinations including Byron Bay, Sydney and Cairns by the Great Barrier Reef
- Visit five of Australia’s World Heritage Listed sites - the Great Barrier Reef, Gondwana Rainforest, Wet Tropics of Queensland, Greater Blue Mountains and Sydney Opera House
- Develop an appreciation of Aboriginal cultural links to the Australian landscape and frameworks for Aboriginal involvement in protected area management
- Hike your way through the stunning landscape of the Blue Mountains - Australia’s most visited national park where you'll be greeted with an Indigenous Welcome Ceremony - as well as Mossman Gorge following Aboriginal guides
- Get up close and personal with animals at the Native Mammal Breeding Centre in the Blue Mountains
- Make the most of traveling not only with TEAN support staff, but also university faculty from both the U.S. and Australia for continued guidance and expert instruction throughout the program
This Australia summer program is great for those who want:
- a short term summer program that fits with their existing school schedule
- to earn academic credit while also gaining hands-on learning experience
- the opportunity to experience several locations across the country
- a program with plenty of built-in field trips and excursions
The Education Abroad Network (TEAN) – established in 1995 – are study abroad and intern specialists in the Asia Pacific region with semester and summer programs available in Australia, New Zealand, Thailand, Singapore, Vietnam, South Korea, China and Japan.
To apply to this program, you must complete two main steps:
- Submit a UMD approval application - start by clicking “apply now” at the top of this page. This application allows UMD Education Abroad to approve your study abroad program selection so you may earn credit in a program outside of UMD.
This application will require you to meet with your EA advisor, who will communicate important details related to participating in this program. If you do not complete this application by the stated deadline, you may not receive credit for your study abroad program and will lose your student status for the time you are not studying at UMD.
- Apply directly to the program provider. After receiving UMD approval, you should submit the program application directly to the program sponsor by their deadline. Your program sponsor will determine your official acceptance to a program. You must adhere to the provider's timeline, eligibility standards, and application requirements.
After being accepted to your program, your EA advisor will guide you through the course pre-approval process where you will determine which credits you will fulfill abroad.
UMD partners with TEAN to offer affiliate program options to UMD students in Australia, New Zealand, and Asia. You will maintain your UMD student status while abroad and you will work directly with TEAN program staff as a participant on their program. Your EA advisor will assist you with this process and can answer questions you may have about the application process.
Academics on a TEAN program
All courses on TEAN programs are considered for transfer credit. However, UMD cannot yet approve transfer credit for TEAN’s field studies, internships or experiential learning courses. Study tours and classes offered on a pass/fail basis are not transferable.
Costs & Billing for TEAN programs
The affiliate program costs apply to this program. UMD students studying on TEAN semester programs will get an $800 discount off of the published TEAN program fee.
As part of your program application to TEAN, you will pay a $500 program deposit and an $350 housing deposit to secure your spot. The remaining TEAN program fees, including housing, will be charged to your UMD student account. You will be able to use any financial aid you receive from UMD towards these charges.
Students studying in New Zealand are also encouraged to apply for the New Zealand - Generation Study Abroad Excellence and Travel Award.
|Term||Year||Application Deadline||Admission Notification||Program Start||Program End|
|Dates reflect information that is available on the program sponsor website. Please confirm with program sponsor/host university before making your travel plans.|