UMD: A Globally Connected University
The Education Abroad Network (TEAN): University of New South Wales (UNSW)
Study Abroad at the University of New South Wales in Sydney, Australia with TEAN
- Study at this innovative Australian university ranked in the top 50 universities in the world (QS World University Rankings 2019)
- Take advantage of semester dates that line up with the U.S. academic calendar for easy scheduling, especially for those with summer commitments in the U.S.
- Live in Sydney, the largest and oldest city in Australia, with its magnificent coastline and ideal climate
- Gain hands on experience with an optional internship in the fields of communications/media and business
- Explore the Great Barrier Reef and tropical far north Australia during your comprehensive five-day Orientation Program, with a week of adventure and learning
- Experience living in the local community in our high-quality, ideally located, off-campus apartments, off-campus in beachside apartments or in on-campus housing
- Benefit from access to TEAN's Sydney-based Resident Director and other in-country staff for continued support throughout the semester
- Opt to take four courses instead of three to receive additional credit. (Four courses is equivalent to 12 – 16 U.S. credits depending on your home university's credit transfer policy.)
- Explore the natural beauty of New Zealand's South Island or head to Fiji to experience remote island life with TEAN's optional pre- or post- semester excursion
Sydney is great for those who want:
- to be a part of a big, multicultural, world-class city where there is always something to do
- an outdoorsy lifestyle with awesome weather and beautiful beaches, Sydney-siders spend their leisure time outdoors
- to be located at a convenient jumping-off point to explore the rest of Australia or other travel opportunities
- delicious dining options and a lively arts and culture community
The Education Abroad Network (TEAN) – established in 1995 – are study abroad and intern specialists in the Asia Pacific region with semester and summer programs available in Australia, New Zealand, Thailand, Singapore, Vietnam, South Korea, China and Japan.
To apply to this program, you must complete two main steps:
- Submit a UMD approval application - start by clicking “apply now” at the top of this page. This application allows UMD Education Abroad to approve your study abroad program selection so you may earn credit in a program outside of UMD.
This application will require you to meet with your EA advisor, who will communicate important details related to participating in this program. If you do not complete this application by the stated deadline, you may not receive credit for your study abroad program and will lose your student status for the time you are not studying at UMD.
- Apply directly to the program provider. After receiving UMD approval, you should submit the program application directly to the program sponsor by their deadline. Your program sponsor will determine your official acceptance to a program. You must adhere to the provider's timeline, eligibility standards, and application requirements.
After being accepted to your program, your EA advisor will guide you through the course pre-approval process where you will determine which credits you will fulfill abroad.
UMD partners with TEAN to offer affiliate program options to UMD students in Australia, New Zealand, and Asia. You will maintain your UMD student status while abroad and you will work directly with TEAN program staff as a participant on their program. Your EA advisor will assist you with this process and can answer questions you may have about the application process.
Academics on a TEAN program
All courses on TEAN programs are considered for transfer credit. However, UMD cannot yet approve transfer credit for TEAN’s field studies, internships or experiential learning courses. Study tours and classes offered on a pass/fail basis are not transferable.
Costs & Billing for TEAN programs
The affiliate program costs apply to this program. UMD students studying on TEAN semester programs will get an $800 discount off of the published TEAN program fee.
As part of your program application to TEAN, you will pay a $500 program deposit and an $350 housing deposit to secure your spot. The remaining TEAN program fees, including housing, will be charged to your UMD student account. You will be able to use any financial aid you receive from UMD towards these charges.
Students studying in New Zealand are also encouraged to apply for the New Zealand - Generation Study Abroad Excellence and Travel Award.
|Term||Year||Application Deadline||Admission Notification||Program Start||Program End|
|Dates reflect information that is available on the program sponsor website. Please confirm with program sponsor/host university before making your travel plans.|