UMD: A Globally Connected University
The Education Abroad Network (TEAN): University of Western Australia
Study Abroad at the University of Western Australia in Perth with TEAN
- Study at one of the top 100 universities in the world, and seventh in Australia, based on the QS World University Rankings 2019
- Enjoy living on campus with other local and international students
- Live in Perth, known for perfect weather, laidback locals, and space to spread out and enjoy life
- Close proximity to some amazing Aussie experiences – explore Australia’s outback, indulge in the wine region of Margaret River, swim with dolphins at Monkey Mia
- Explore the Great Barrier Reef and tropical far north Australia during your comprehensive five-day Orientation Program, with a week of adventure and learning
- Experience an alternative Spring Break with our optional Thailand or New Zealand excursion
- Benefit from access to TEAN’s Perth Resident Director and other in-country staff for continued support throughout the semester
- Take three courses instead of four to receive discounted tuition. (Three courses is equivalent to 9 – 12 U.S. credits depending on your home university’s credit transfer policy)
Perth is great for those who want:
- easy access to a variety of iconic Aussie landscapes, from beautiful beaches to the bush and even the Outback
- wonderful weather (Perth has more days of sunshine than any other city in the country!)
- to be surrounded by an active and athletic culture - this is one of the best places for those interested in sports or sports medicine to study and intern
The Education Abroad Network (TEAN) – established in 1995 – are study abroad and intern specialists in the Asia Pacific region with semester and summer programs available in Australia, New Zealand, Thailand, Singapore, Vietnam, South Korea, China and Japan.
To apply to this program, you must complete two main steps:
- Submit a UMD approval application - start by clicking “apply now” at the top of this page. This application allows UMD Education Abroad to approve your study abroad program selection so you may earn credit in a program outside of UMD.
This application will require you to meet with your EA advisor, who will communicate important details related to participating in this program. If you do not complete this application by the stated deadline, you may not receive credit for your study abroad program and will lose your student status for the time you are not studying at UMD.
- Apply directly to the program provider. After receiving UMD approval, you should submit the program application directly to the program sponsor by their deadline. Your program sponsor will determine your official acceptance to a program. You must adhere to the provider's timeline, eligibility standards, and application requirements.
After being accepted to your program, your EA advisor will guide you through the course pre-approval process where you will determine which credits you will fulfill abroad.
UMD partners with TEAN to offer affiliate program options to UMD students in Australia, New Zealand, and Asia. You will maintain your UMD student status while abroad and you will work directly with TEAN program staff as a participant on their program. Your EA advisor will assist you with this process and can answer questions you may have about the application process.
Academics on a TEAN program
Visit the Academics & Study Abroad page which outlines key considerations for your academic planning as you navigate different phases of study abroad:
- Pre-Departure Course Selection & Approval
- Finalizing Course Enrollment Abroad
- Transcripts and Credits on your UMD Record
Browse UMD course evaluations in the Study Abroad Course Database:
There may be other course offerings on this program that are not currently listed in the Study Abroad Course Database (SACD). If you are interested in taking a course not listed in the SACD, please submit a transfer credit evaluation request.
Costs & Billing for TEAN programs
The affiliate program costs apply to this program. UMD students studying on TEAN semester programs will get an $800 discount off of the published TEAN program fee.
As part of your program application to TEAN, you will pay a $500 program deposit and an $350 housing deposit to secure your spot. The remaining TEAN program fees, including housing, will be charged to your UMD student account. You will be able to use any financial aid you receive from UMD towards these charges.
Students studying in New Zealand are also encouraged to apply for the New Zealand - Generation Study Abroad Excellence and Travel Award.