UMD: A Globally Connected University
The Education Abroad Network (TEAN): University of Wollongong
Study Abroad at the University of Wollongong, Australia with TEAN
- Select from the University of Wollongong's comprehensive academic program and enjoy the beautiful bush campus
- Experience living in the university's student accommodation with local students
- Live in Wollongong, within proximity to Sydney but with a more intimate, laid back lifestyle by the beach
- Gain hands on experience with an optional business internship
- Explore the Great Barrier Reef and tropical far north Australia during your comprehensive five-day Orientation Program, with a week of adventure and learning
- Experience an alternative Spring Break with our optional Thailand or New Zealand excursion
- Appreciate access to TEAN's Sydney / Wollongong Resident Director and other in-country staff for continued support throughout the semester
Wollongong is great for those who want:
- close proximity to Sydney but wish to live in a smaller, more laid back city with a strong community feel and vibrant student life
- easy access to excellent, uncrowded beaches
- to watch their budget or benefit from a relatively small student population
The Education Abroad Network (TEAN) – established in 1995 – are study abroad and intern specialists in the Asia Pacific region with semester and summer programs available in Australia, New Zealand, Thailand, Singapore, Vietnam, South Korea, China and Japan.
To apply to this program, you must complete two main steps:
- Submit a UMD approval application - start by clicking “apply now” at the top of this page. This application allows UMD Education Abroad to approve your study abroad program selection so you may earn credit in a program outside of UMD.
This application will require you to meet with your EA advisor, who will communicate important details related to participating in this program. If you do not complete this application by the stated deadline, you may not receive credit for your study abroad program and will lose your student status for the time you are not studying at UMD.
- Apply directly to the program provider. After receiving UMD approval, you should submit the program application directly to the program sponsor by their deadline. Your program sponsor will determine your official acceptance to a program. You must adhere to the provider's timeline, eligibility standards, and application requirements.
After being accepted to your program, your EA advisor will guide you through the course pre-approval process where you will determine which credits you will fulfill abroad.
UMD partners with TEAN to offer affiliate program options to UMD students in Australia, New Zealand, and Asia. You will maintain your UMD student status while abroad and you will work directly with TEAN program staff as a participant on their program. Your EA advisor will assist you with this process and can answer questions you may have about the application process.
Academics on a TEAN program
Visit the Academics & Study Abroad page which outlines key considerations for your academic planning as you navigate different phases of study abroad:
- Pre-Departure Course Selection & Approval
- Finalizing Course Enrollment Abroad
- Transcripts and Credits on your UMD Record
Browse UMD course evaluations in the Study Abroad Course Database:
There may be other course offerings on this program that are not currently listed in the Study Abroad Course Database (SACD). If you are interested in taking a course not listed in the SACD, please submit a transfer credit evaluation request.
Costs & Billing for TEAN programs
The affiliate program costs apply to this program. UMD students studying on TEAN semester programs will get an $800 discount off of the published TEAN program fee.
As part of your program application to TEAN, you will pay a $500 program deposit and an $350 housing deposit to secure your spot. The remaining TEAN program fees, including housing, will be charged to your UMD student account. You will be able to use any financial aid you receive from UMD towards these charges.
Students studying in New Zealand are also encouraged to apply for the New Zealand - Generation Study Abroad Excellence and Travel Award.