UMD: A Globally Connected University
The Education Abroad Network (TEAN): Victoria University of Wellington
Study Abroad at Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand with TEAN
- Victoria University of Wellington is ranked in the top 250 universities in the world while its Arts & Humanities programs are ranked 73rd internationally by the QS World University Rankings (2019)
- Get an adrenaline rush during our Orientation Excursion in the 'adventure capital of the world' - Queenstown - where you are exposed not only to local culture and incredible nature but to New Zealand's love of extreme adventure
- Experience the local student living experience, with accommodation in apartments and houses within minutes' walk to campus
- Live in Wellington – an artsy college town that just happens to be the capital of the country and is perfectly located to explore the North and South Islands
- Spend time wandering the city on a lazy Sunday when the local market is in full-swing, take in some of "Windy Welly's" bohemian cafes, or learn more about local Maori history at the world-renowned Te Papa Tongarewa
- Go on an adventure with our mid-semester excursion option to Thailand's culture-rich cities and beautiful beaches
- Appreciate access to TEAN's in-country Resident Director and Wellington-based Resident Advisor for continued support throughout the semester
Wellington, New Zealand
Wellington is great for those who want:
- a walkable city on the water that offers the best of both urban life and the great outdoors
- access to a vibrant arts and culture scene - there are theatres, museums, live music, festivals, markets and more everywhere you turn
- to thoroughly experience what's lovingly become known as 'The Coolest Little Capital in the World' according to Lonely Planet
The Education Abroad Network (TEAN) – established in 1995 – are study abroad and intern specialists in the Asia Pacific region with semester and summer programs available in Australia, New Zealand, Thailand, Singapore, Vietnam, South Korea, China and Japan.
To apply to this program, you must complete two main steps:
- Submit a UMD approval application - start by clicking “apply now” at the top of this page. This application allows UMD Education Abroad to approve your study abroad program selection so you may earn credit in a program outside of UMD.
This application will require you to meet with your EA advisor, who will communicate important details related to participating in this program. If you do not complete this application by the stated deadline, you may not receive credit for your study abroad program and will lose your student status for the time you are not studying at UMD.
- Apply directly to the program provider. After receiving UMD approval, you should submit the program application directly to the program sponsor by their deadline. Your program sponsor will determine your official acceptance to a program. You must adhere to the provider's timeline, eligibility standards, and application requirements.
After being accepted to your program, your EA advisor will guide you through the course pre-approval process where you will determine which credits you will fulfill abroad.
UMD partners with TEAN to offer affiliate program options to UMD students in Australia, New Zealand, and Asia. You will maintain your UMD student status while abroad and you will work directly with TEAN program staff as a participant on their program. Your EA advisor will assist you with this process and can answer questions you may have about the application process.
Academics on a TEAN program
All courses on TEAN programs are considered for transfer credit. However, UMD cannot yet approve transfer credit for TEAN’s field studies, internships or experiential learning courses. Study tours and classes offered on a pass/fail basis are not transferable.
Costs & Billing for TEAN programs
The affiliate program costs apply to this program. UMD students studying on TEAN semester programs will get an $800 discount off of the published TEAN program fee.
As part of your program application to TEAN, you will pay a $500 program deposit and an $350 housing deposit to secure your spot. The remaining TEAN program fees, including housing, will be charged to your UMD student account. You will be able to use any financial aid you receive from UMD towards these charges.
Students studying in New Zealand are also encouraged to apply for the New Zealand - Generation Study Abroad Excellence and Travel Award.
|Term||Year||Application Deadline||Admission Notification||Program Start||Program End|
|Dates reflect information that is available on the program sponsor website. Please confirm with program sponsor/host university before making your travel plans.|