UMD: A Globally Connected University
BMGT Exchange: Manchester Business School (United Kingdom)
All students accepted to an Exchange program are automatically considered for an award of $1,000! See Cost tab for more information.
Manchester Business School is one of the world’s leading centers for business and management studies, ranked 4th in the UK and 11th in Europe, according to the Financial Times. Over 1,600 students from around the world study a variety of business disciplines in a cosmopolitan setting. MBS is part of the University of Manchester, a world-class university with more than 39,000 students from 180 countries.
The University of Manchester is located in the city of Manchester, which is considered England's second city after London - but with much lower living costs than the capital. Famous for its English Premier League football teams, Manchester City and Manchester United, and home to some of the best in contemporary and classic art and theatre, Manchester is a great place for a student to call home. It is one of Britain's liveliest and most multicultural cities - buzzing with events, cinemas, exhibitions, clubs and bars that cater for everyone. It offers a vibrant world with which to engage during your exchange abroad experience.
Exchange programs are highly competitive and space in each program is limited. You must meet the following eligibility requirements in order to apply to this program:
- 3.0 GPA
- Completion of 2 semesters at UMD
- You must be a BMGT major
Exchange programs are a good fit for students looking for immersion, personal growth, and the opportunity to strengthen qualities such as independence and adaptability.
Student Visa Information
As an exchange student, you may be required to obtain a visa. Please visit this website for more information.
- Click "Apply Now" at the top of this page. You will log in with your UMD directory ID and password.
- Submit all application materials by the deadline listed below. This includes meeting with your EA advisor (listed at the top of this page), requesting a faculty letter of recommendation, and submitting an official transcript.
- FOR ENGR GE3 ONLY: If you are applying for a Global E3 exchange, you will need to submit an additional GE3 application by the deadline listed on their website.
- After the application deadline, we will review all completed applications and nominate students for available spots in each exchange program.
- If you are nominated to participate in this exchange, you will work with your EA advisor (listed above) to apply directly to the host university, who will formally admit you to the exchange program.
- Nominated students will then work with their EA advisor (listed above) and our partner universities to coordinate all aspects of the stay at the host university such as course registration, visas and arrival.
All credit you earn on this program will count as transfer credit towards your UMD degree. Most courses at Manchester Business School will be converted as follows:
|Manchester Business School Credit||UMD Credit|
The credit conversion listed above was approved by the UMD Study Abroad Transfer Credit Committee on June 10, 2014.
You can view how courses at this institution have previously been evaluated for UMD equivalents on the Undergraduate Exchange page hosted by the Smith School of Business and the Transfer Credit Services Equivalency Database (TCEQ). If you are interested in taking a course not listed on TCEQ, you may have it evaluated for acceptability by following the UMD Registrar’s evaluation request guidelines.
Undergraduates must receive a C- equivalent or better in order to be eligible for the transfer of credit.
|Manchester Business School Grade||UMD Grade|
All students accepted to an Exchange program are considered for an automatic award of $1,000!
To be considered for this scholarship, you must:
- Be a current degree seeking undergraduate UMD student (graduate students are not eligible for this award)
- Not currently receive full tuition scholarship/benefits (i.e. Banneker Key, tuition remission, TAES, etc.)
- If you have a completed FAFSA on file and wish to be considered for need based aid in addition to the automatic award, complete the EA fund form by the deadline.
UMD students participating in an Exchange have the benefit of paying UMD tuition rates to attend an institution abroad. For specific information on the cost of attending this Exchange, please see the UMD Exchange Cost Sheet
Tuition and fees for exchange programs are charged directly to your UMD account, which means you can apply UMD scholarships, state and federal financial aid, and alternative loans towards the cost of an exchange. Housing costs are paid directly to the host institution or on-site housing agency.
You can use the cost of attendance comparison worksheet to view how study abroad programs compare to each other and the amount you pay on campus at UMD. As always, your EA advisor (listed above) is available help you complete this worksheet and find affordable programs that fit your study abroad goals.
Please refer to the following resources for more information on funding study abroad:
|Term||Year||Application Deadline||Admission Notification||Program Start||Program End|
|Dates reflect information that is available on the program sponsor website. Please confirm with program sponsor/host university before making your travel plans.|
|NOTE: Dates reflect information that is available on the program sponsor website. Please confirm with program sponsor/host university before making your travel plans.|