UMD: A Globally Connected University
BMGT Exchange: Manchester Business School (United Kingdom)
All students accepted to an Exchange program are automatically considered for an award of $1,000! See Cost tab for more information.
Manchester Business School is one of the world’s leading centers for business and management studies, ranked 4th in the UK and 11th in Europe, according to the Financial Times. Over 1,600 students from around the world study a variety of business disciplines in a cosmopolitan setting. MBS is part of the University of Manchester, a world-class university with more than 39,000 students from 180 countries.
The University of Manchester is located in the city of Manchester, which is considered England's second city after London - but with much lower living costs than the capital. Famous for its English Premier League football teams, Manchester City and Manchester United, and home to some of the best in contemporary and classic art and theatre, Manchester is a great place for a student to call home. It is one of Britain's liveliest and most multicultural cities - buzzing with events, cinemas, exhibitions, clubs and bars that cater for everyone. It offers a vibrant world with which to engage during your exchange abroad experience.
Exchange programs are highly competitive and space in each program is limited. You must meet the following eligibility requirements in order to apply to this program:
- 3.0 GPA
- Completion of 2 semesters at UMD
- You must be a BMGT major
Exchange programs are a good fit for students looking for immersion, personal growth, and the opportunity to strengthen qualities such as independence and adaptability.
Student Visa Information
As an exchange student, you may be required to obtain a visa. Please visit this website for more information.
- Click "Apply Now" at the top of this page. You will log in with your UMD directory ID and password.
- Submit all application materials by the deadline listed below. This includes meeting with your EA advisor (listed at the top of this page), and may include requesting a faculty letter of recommendation, and submitting an official transcript. If a letter of recommendation and/or official transcript are required, it will be listed in MyEA once you start an application for this program.
- After the application deadline, we will review all completed applications and nominate students for available spots in each exchange program.
- If you are nominated to participate in this exchange, you will work with your EA advisor (listed above) to apply directly to the host university, who will formally admit you to the exchange program. Nominated students must complete the host university application in accordance with the host university’s stated deadlines and instructions.
- Nominated students will then work with their EA advisor (listed above) and our partner universities to coordinate all aspects of the stay at the host university such as course registration, visas and arrival.
Visit the Academics & Study Abroad page which outlines key considerations for your academic planning as you navigate different phases of study abroad:
- Pre-Departure Course Selection & Approval
- Finalizing Course Enrollment Abroad
- Transcripts and Credits on your UMD Record
Students can choose from variety of business courses. Courses approved for transfer include those in: Finance, Information Systems, International Business, Management, Marketing, Supply Chain Management, and upper-level electives.
There may be other course offerings on this program that are not currently listed in the Study Abroad Course Database (SACD). If you are interested in taking a course not listed in the SACD, please submit a transfer credit evaluation request.
All credit you earn on this program will count as transfer credit towards your UMD degree. Most courses at Manchester Business School will be converted as follows:
|Manchester Business School Credit||UMD Credit|
|0.3 MBS credit||1 UMD credit|
|10 MBS credits||3 UMD credits|
The credit conversion listed above was approved by the UMD Study Abroad Transfer Credit Committee on June 10, 2014.
Undergraduates must receive a C- equivalent or better in order to be eligible for the transfer of credit.
|Manchester Business School Grade||UMD Grade|
UMD students participating in an Exchange program have the benefit of paying UMD tuition rates to attend an institution abroad. For specific information about this Exchange program, please reference the Cost of Attendance Chart.
Tuition and fees for exchange programs are charged directly to your UMD account, which means you can apply UMD scholarships, state and federal financial aid, and alternative loans towards the cost of an exchange. Students participating in a BMGT or ENGR exchange program are not charged differential tuition. Housing costs are paid directly to the host institution or on-site housing agency.
You can use the cost of attendance comparison worksheet to view how study abroad programs compare to each other and the amount you pay on campus at UMD. As always, your EA advisor (listed above) is available to help you complete this worksheet and find affordable programs that fit your study abroad goals.
All students accepted to an Exchange program are considered for an automatic award of $1,000! To be considered for this scholarship, you must:
- Be a current degree seeking undergraduate UMD student (graduate students are not eligible for this award)
- Not currently receive full tuition scholarship/benefits (i.e. Banneker Key, tuition remission, Frederick Douglass Scholarship, etc.)
Additional Financial Resources
Maximize your time abroad by taking advantage of resources at your host institution!
Student Clubs and Organizations
The University of Manchester is the largest single-site university in the UK. With over 38,000 students, it has many clubs and organizations!
Manchester provides a lot of information surrounding what to do before you arrive and right after you arrive. This way you feel comfortable settling in!
Counseling & Health Services
The university has many counseling services that can be used by exchange students. These include group meetings, individual appointments, workshops, and other events.
|Term||Year||Application Deadline||Admission Notification||Program Start||Program End|