UMD: A Globally Connected University
ENGR Exchange: University of Manchester (United Kingdom)
All students accepted to an Exchange program are automatically considered for an award of $1,000! See Cost tab for more information.
To prepare for the global job market tomorrow, successful engineering students today are required to have not only a good academic standing and a firm knowledge of the sciences, but they must also be familiar with the various cultures and regulations of the engineering industry abroad. Manchester is a truly multicultural university, welcoming almost 40,000 students a year from 160 countries to our friendly campus community. The exchange program at University of Manchester will provide interested engineering students with the opportunity to build on their knowledge in the field of engineering and at the same time introduce them to new cultures and lifestyles. This study abroad program is currently being offered to engineering students. Participants will spend one semester or one year of study at the University of Manchester. Students who have interest in the European cultures are suggested to apply for this program.
Beyond the University you’ll find that the city of Manchester is a diverse and modern place where a taste of home is never far away. Manchester’s character is defined as much by its people as it is by its history and achievements. The city is one of the most multicultural in the UK, with nearly 200 languages spoken here. Over the centuries many people have chosen Manchester as their home. Greater Manchester’s Jewish community, for example, is the largest outside of London. Our Chinatown, centred around the impressive imperial arch, is the second largest in the UK. Ever popular for its countless restaurants, Asian supermarkets and events, Chinatown fills the area with vibrant colour and flavours. Rusholme and its celebrated ‘Curry Mile’ sits between our University campus and Fallowfield campus. On this neon-lit street, countless restaurants sit alongside shops catering to the resident South Asian and Middle Eastern communities. With so many cultures rubbing shoulders with one another, it’s no surprise that Manchester has an excellent reputation for food and drink. You’ll find cuisine from practically every culture and to suit any budget.
Exchange programs are highly competitive and space in each program is limited. You must meet the following eligibility requirements in order to apply to this program:
- 3.0 GPA
- Completion of 2 semesters at UMD
- You must be an ENGR major
Exchange programs are a good fit for students looking for immersion, personal growth, and the opportunity to strengthen qualities such as independence and adaptability.
Student Visa Information
A student visa is required for participation on this exchange. For more information, please visit our study abroad visa guide to view instructions for the country you will be visiting. Please note that visa information is subject to change and you are responsible for checking the embassy website for updates.
- Click "Apply Now" at the top of this page. You will log in with your UMD directory ID and password.
- Submit all application materials by the deadline listed below. This includes meeting with your EA advisor (listed at the top of this page), requesting a faculty letter of recommendation, and submitting an official transcript.
- FOR ENGR GE3 ONLY: If you are applying for a Global E3 exchange, you will need to submit an additional GE3 application by the deadline listed on their website.
- After the application deadline, we will review all completed applications and nominate students for available spots in each exchange program.
- If you are nominated to participate in this exchange, you will work with your EA advisor (listed above) to apply directly to the host university, who will formally admit you to the exchange program.
- Nominated students will then work with their EA advisor (listed above) and our partner universities to coordinate all aspects of the stay at the host university such as course registration, visas and arrival.
Catalogs and course descriptions are available for your review along with detailed information about orientation and advising services for incoming participants. Course offerings are available on the university's website.
Disciplines available: Aero, BioE, Chemical, Civil, Computer, Mechanical, Materials
NOTE: Exchange students at the University of Manchester are not able to take electrical engineering courses. In addition, year 4 courses are not always available to visiting students and require approval from the sponsoring academic unit.
All credit you earn on this program will count as transfer credit towards your UMD degree. Most courses at University of Manchester will be converted as follows:
|University of Manchester Credit||UMD Credit|
|.3 UK Credit||1 UMD Credit|
|10 UK Credit||3 UMD Credit|
The chart above was last approved by the UMD Transfer Credit Committee on June 10, 2014.
You can view how courses at this institution have previously been evaluated for UMD equivalents on the International Study Course Search hosted by the Clark School of Engineering website and the Transfer Credit Services Equivalency Database (TCEQ). If you are interested in taking a course not listed on TCEQ, you may have it evaluated for acceptability by following the UMD Registrar’s evaluation request guidelines.
Undergraduates must receive a C- equivalent or better in order to be eligible for the transfer of credit.
|University of Manchester Grade||UMD Grade|
The University is committed to providing the best possible opportunities for students coming to Manchester for the first time. They have a wide and varied range university-managed accommodation options which are safe, affordable, convenient, and offer international students the opportunity to live and study alongside British students. Visit this website to learn more about the various housing options available.
- Range of choices including: self-catered flats, fully-catered halls, single sex options, campus-based or further afield
- Ethernet connection in most rooms, providing free 24 hour access to e-mail and internet facilities
- Safe, supportive and secure environment
Note that students coming for one semester are not guaranteed a room, but under normal circumstances are usually allocated one.
All students accepted to an Exchange program are considered for an automatic award of $1,000!
To be considered for this scholarship, you must:
- Be a current degree seeking undergraduate UMD student (graduate students are not eligible for this award)
- Not currently receive full tuition scholarship/benefits (i.e. Banneker Key, tuition remission, TAES, etc.)
- If you have a completed FAFSA on file and wish to be considered for need based aid in addition to the automatic award, complete the EA fund form by the deadline.
UMD students participating in an Exchange have the benefit of paying UMD tuition rates to attend an institution abroad. For specific information on the cost of attending this Exchange, please see the UMD Exchange Cost Sheet
Tuition and fees for exchange programs are charged directly to your UMD account, which means you can apply UMD scholarships, state and federal financial aid, and alternative loans towards the cost of an exchange. Housing costs are paid directly to the host institution or on-site housing agency.
You can use the cost of attendance comparison worksheet to view how study abroad programs compare to each other and the amount you pay on campus at UMD. As always, your EA advisor (listed above) is available help you complete this worksheet and find affordable programs that fit your study abroad goals.
Please refer to the following resources for more information on funding study abroad:
|Term||Year||Application Deadline||Admission Notification||Program Start||Program End|
|NOTE: Dates reflect information that is available on the program sponsor/host university website. Please confirm with program sponsor/host university before making your travel plans.|
|Dates reflect information that is available on the program sponsor website. Please confirm with program sponsor/host university before making your travel plans.|