UMD: A Globally Connected University
UMD Exchange: University of Bristol (United Kingdom)
Founded in 1872, the University of Bristol has built and maintained a strong reputation as a teaching and research institution. The University is known for academics, excellent facilities, and a desirable location. League tables usually place Bristol within the top ten universities in the United Kingdom and it was ranked by 30th overall in the world in the 2011 QS World University Rankings. As a result, it attracts many academically gifted students. The University of Bristol's excellent academic program and quintessentially British cultural environment make this exchange a very fulfilling study abroad experience.
Located in southwestern England, Bristol is the largest center of culture, employment and education in the region. Bristol is a short distance from Wales and Bath and is about two hours by train from London. Rich in history and culture, Bristol is an ideal size, offering all the attractions of a big city set against the backdrop of a beautiful harbor that you can easily explore on foot or by bike. The cosmopolitan nature of the University is mirrored in the city too, with its restaurants, food shops, cultural societies and festivals all stemming from a large, permanently resident and highly participative international community.
Exchange programs are highly competitive and space in each program is limited. You must meet the following eligibility requirements in order to apply to this program:
- 3.0 GPA
- Completion of 2 semesters at UMD
Exchange programs are a good fit for students looking for immersion, personal growth, and the opportunity to strengthen qualities such as independence and adaptability.
Student Visa Information
A student visa is required for participation on this exchange. For more information, please visit our study abroad visa guide to view instructions for the country you will be visiting. Please note that visa information is subject to change and you are responsible for checking the embassy website for updates.
- Click "Apply Now" at the top of this page. You will log in with your UMD directory ID and password.
- Submit all application materials by the deadline listed below. This includes meeting with your EA advisor (listed at the top of this page), requesting a faculty letter of recommendation, and submitting an official transcript.
- FOR ENGR GE3 ONLY: If you are applying for a Global E3 exchange, you will need to submit an additional GE3 application by the deadline listed on their website.
- After the application deadline, we will review all completed applications and nominate students for available spots in each exchange program.
- If you are nominated to participate in this exchange, you will work with your EA advisor (listed above) to apply directly to the host university, who will formally admit you to the exchange program.
- Nominated students will then work with their EA advisor (listed above) and our partner universities to coordinate all aspects of the stay at the host university such as course registration, visas and arrival.
It's not possible to take classes in the Medical, Vet or Dental schools, but the other faculties are all options.
Language of Instruction: English
Course Offerings Website:
Unit (course) Catalogue: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/international/study/study-abroad/studies.html
Academic Restrictions: http://www.bristol.ac.uk/international/study/study-abroad/studies.html#c...
All credit you earn on this program will count as transfer credit towards your UMD degree. Most courses at the University of Bristol will be converted as follows:
|University of Bristol Credit||UMD Credit|
|1 UK credit x .3||1 UMD credit|
|10 UK credit x .3||1 UMD credit|
The chart above was last approved by the UMD Transfer Credit Committee on June 10, 2014.
You can view how courses at this institution have previously been evaluated for UMD equivalents through the Transfer Credit Services Equivalency Database (TCEQ). If you are interested in taking a course not listed on TCEQ, you may have it evaluated for acceptability by following the UMD Registrar’s evaluation request guidelines.
Undergraduates must receive a C- equivalent or better in order to be eligible for the transfer of credit.
|University of Bristol Grade||UMD Grade|
UMD students participating in an Exchange have the benefit of paying UMD tuition rates to attend an institution abroad. For specific information on the cost of attending this Exchange, please see the UMD Exchange Cost Sheet
Tuition and fees for exchange programs are charged directly to your UMD account, which means you can apply UMD scholarships, state and federal financial aid, and alternative loans towards the cost of an exchange. Housing costs are paid directly to the host institution or on-site housing agency.
You can use the cost of attendance comparison worksheet to view how study abroad programs compare to each other and the amount you pay on campus at UMD. As always, your EA advisor (listed above) is available help you complete this worksheet and find affordable programs that fit your study abroad goals.
Please refer to the following resources for more information on funding study abroad:
|Term||Year||Application Deadline||Admission Notification||Program Start||Program End|