UMD: A Globally Connected University
ENGR Exchange: Macquarie University (Australia)
Enroll at Macquarie University, nicknamed the "Innovative University" for its flexible learning programs and unparalleled student support services. Uniquely located in the heart of Australia’s largest high-tech precinct, Macquarie University was founded in 1964 and has risen to be a progressive and influential institution both locally and internationally. Macquarie’s beautiful 310-acre, park-like campus is set within Sydney’s Northern suburbs connected by public transport, and only 30 minutes by train directly from campus to downtown Sydney.
Macquarie University is located in the state of New South Wales in the most famous city within Australia, and Sydney offers a cosmopolitan city center of close to 5 million people. The vibrant cultural activities and attractions, sparkling beaches, such as the famous Bondi Beach, and dramatic national parks will keep exchange students busy during their time in Australia. Sydney is a dynamic cultural hub with many internationally known museums and galleries, local markets, festivals, and some of Australia's largest social and cultural events, with so many activities free of charge. And don't forget to visit the Sydney Opera House, try surfing and attend a rugby game!
Exchange programs are highly competitive and space in each program is limited. You must meet the following eligibility requirements in order to apply to this program:
- 3.0 GPA
- Completion of 2 semesters at UMD
- You must be an ENGR major
Exchange programs are a good fit for students looking for immersion, personal growth, and the opportunity to strengthen qualities such as independence and adaptability.
Student Visa Information
A student visa is required for participation on this exchange. For more information, please visit our study abroad visa guide to view instructions for the country you will be visiting. Please note that visa information is subject to change and you are responsible for checking the embassy website for updates.
- Click "Apply Now" at the top of this page. You will log in with your UMD directory ID and password.
- Submit all application materials by the deadline listed below. This includes meeting with your EA advisor (listed at the top of this page), requesting a faculty letter of recommendation, and submitting an official transcript.
- FOR ENGR GE3 ONLY: If you are applying for a Global E3 exchange, you will need to submit an additional GE3 application by the deadline listed on their website.
- After the application deadline, we will review all completed applications and nominate students for available spots in each exchange program.
- If you are nominated to participate in this exchange, you will work with your EA advisor (listed above) to apply directly to the host university, who will formally admit you to the exchange program.
- Nominated students will then work with their EA advisor (listed above) and our partner universities to coordinate all aspects of the stay at the host university such as course registration, visas and arrival.
- Computer Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
For a list of course offerings, visit the Macquarie website.
To view previously approved study abroad courses by engineering department, view the Engineering Study Abroad Course Guide
Exchange students are invited to participate in Macquarie's Global Leadership Program (GLP). Build your international knowledge and professional skills during your study abroad experience with the GLP which entails attending five three-hour workshops and a GLP-approved keynote event. More information is available at: mq.edu.au/glp.
All credit you earn on this program will count as transfer credit towards your UMD degree. Most courses at Macquarie University will be converted as follows:
|Macquarie University Credit||UMD Credit|
|1.334 Credit||1 Credit|
|3 Credit||4 Credit|
The conversion above was last approved by the UMD Transfer Credit Committee on June 5, 2014.
You can view how courses at this institution have previously been evaluated for UMD equivalents on the International Study Course Search hosted by the Clark School of Engineering website and the Transfer Credit Services Equivalency Database (TCEQ). If you are interested in taking a course not listed on TCEQ, you may have it evaluated for acceptability by following the UMD Registrar’s evaluation request guidelines.
Undergraduates must receive a C- equivalent or better in order to be eligible for the transfer of credit.
|Macquarie University Grade||UMD Grade|
Macquarie University offers guaranteed housing in shared flats, private residential colleges, and off-campus shared units. Housing applications are due 6 weeks before the semester starts. Additional information and options are available at http://www.students.mq.edu.au/support/accommodation/home/.
All students accepted to an Exchange program are considered for an automatic award of $1,000!
To be considered for this scholarship, you must:
- Be a current degree seeking undergraduate UMD student (graduate students are not eligible for this award)
- Not currently receive full tuition scholarship/benefits (i.e. Banneker Key, tuition remission, TAES, etc.)
- If you have a completed FAFSA on file and wish to be considered for need based aid in addition to the automatic award, complete the EA fund form by the deadline.
UMD students participating in an Exchange have the benefit of paying UMD tuition rates to attend an institution abroad. For specific information on the cost of attending this Exchange, please see the UMD Exchange Cost Sheet
Tuition and fees for exchange programs are charged directly to your UMD account, which means you can apply UMD scholarships, state and federal financial aid, and alternative loans towards the cost of an exchange. Housing costs are paid directly to the host institution or on-site housing agency.
You can use the cost of attendance comparison worksheet to view how study abroad programs compare to each other and the amount you pay on campus at UMD. As always, your EA advisor (listed above) is available help you complete this worksheet and find affordable programs that fit your study abroad goals.
Please refer to the following resources for more information on funding study abroad:
|Term||Year||Application Deadline||Admission Notification||Program Start||Program End|
|NOTE: Dates reflect information that is available on the program sponsor website. Please confirm with program sponsor/host university before making your travel plans.|
|Dates reflect information that is available on the program sponsor website. Please confirm with program sponsor/host university before making your travel plans.|