UMD: A Globally Connected University
University of Edinburgh (direct enroll)
The University of Edinburgh is ranked 6th in the United Kingdom (Times Higher Education World Rankings 2013-2014) and consistently ranks in the top 50 universities in the world. Edinburgh has approximately 33,000 students and its famous alumni include Charles Darwin and J K Rowling.
Edinburgh is the capitol of Scotland and an extremely vibrant city. Edinburgh is home to top art venues, a myriad of cafes and new restaurants, and beautiful cobbled streets in the Old Town. The city is known as the world’s festival capital and is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Visit the Academics & Study Abroad page which outlines key considerations for your academic planning as you navigate different phases of study abroad:
- Pre-Departure Course Selection & Approval
- Finalizing Course Enrollment Abroad
- Transcripts and Credits on your UMD Record
Browse UMD course evaluations in the Study Abroad Course Database:
There may be other course offerings on this program that are not currently listed in the Study Abroad Course Database (SACD). If you are interested in taking a course not listed in the SACD, please submit a transfer credit evaluation request.
All credit you earn on this program will count as transfer credit on your UMD transcript. UMD uses the following conversion to assess how many credits you will get from this program:
|University of Edinburgh Credit||UMD Credit|
|.3 Edinburgh credit||1 UMD credit|
|10 Edinburgh credits||3 UMD credits|
The chart above was last approved by the UMD Study Abroad Transfer Credit Committee on June 10, 2014.
Undergraduates must receive a C- equivalent or better in order to be eligible for the transfer of credit.
|University of Edinburgh Grade||UMD Grade|
|40 or D or Satisfactory||C -|
Costs for Other Approved Programs are outlined on the Costs of Study Abroad page.
To apply to this program, you must complete two main steps:
- Submit a UMD approval application - start by clicking “apply now” at the top of this page. This application allows UMD Education Abroad to approve your study abroad program selection so you may earn credit in a program outside of UMD.
This application will require you to meet with your EA advisor, who will communicate important details related to participating in this program. If you do not complete this application by the stated deadline, you may not receive credit for your study abroad program and will lose your student status for the time you are not studying at UMD.
- Apply directly to the program provider. After receiving UMD approval, you should submit the program application directly to the program sponsor by their deadline. Your program sponsor will determine your official acceptance to a program. You must adhere to the provider's timeline, eligibility standards, and application requirements.
After being accepted to your program, your EA advisor will guide you through the course pre-approval process where you will determine which credits you will fulfill abroad.
|Term||Year||Application Deadline||Admission Notification||Program Start||Program End|