UMD: A Globally Connected University
Arabic Flagship (Undergraduate)
Together with six other U.S. institutions, the University of Maryland offers an accelerated Arabic language designed to advance students to a professional-level proficiency. Spoken across North Africa and the Middle East in many dialects, and the official language of several multinational organizations including NGOs and the United Nations, Arabic opens a world of cultural immersion and learning opportunities to its students.
Students participate in rigorous classes taught by experienced faculty, the latest technology, cultural activities, field trips, language partners for one to one practice, and specially designed workshops to help students learn Arabic and to practice what they learn. The Flagship program combines intensive study in the US (both academic year and summer programs), with well-articulated periods of immersion overseas in Morocco.
Visit the Academics & Study Abroad page which outlines key considerations for your academic planning as you navigate different phases of study abroad:
- Pre-Departure Course Selection & Approval
- Finalizing Course Enrollment Abroad
- Transcripts and Credits on your UMD Record
Browse UMD course evaluations in the Study Abroad Course Database:
There may be other course offerings on this program that are not currently listed in the Study Abroad Course Database (SACD). If you are interested in taking a course not listed in the SACD, please submit a transfer credit evaluation request.
Costs for Other Approved Programs are outlined on the Costs of Study Abroad page.
To apply to this program, you must complete two main steps:
- Submit a UMD approval application - start by clicking “apply now” at the top of this page. This application allows UMD Education Abroad to approve your study abroad program selection so you may earn credit in a program outside of UMD.
This application will require you to meet with your EA advisor, who will communicate important details related to participating in this program. If you do not complete this application by the stated deadline, you may not receive credit for your study abroad program and will lose your student status for the time you are not studying at UMD.
- Apply directly to the program provider. After receiving UMD approval, you should submit the program application directly to the program sponsor by their deadline. Your program sponsor will determine your official acceptance to a program. You must adhere to the provider's timeline, eligibility standards, and application requirements.
After being accepted to your program, your EA advisor will guide you through the course pre-approval process where you will determine which credits you will fulfill abroad.