UMD: A Globally Connected University
Kassel International Summer University (ISU)
The Hessen International Summer University [ISU] offers a three to four-week academic program, which feature the strengths of the University of Kassel in environmental sciences and German language and culture. Roughly 60 students, who are placed with German host families for the duration of their stay in Kassel, attend the program. This unique opportunity provides you with the chance to gain insight into German culture and family life. During your time in Kassel, you will be engaged not only in inspiring academic seminars, but also in diverse cultural and social activities. While you select your seminars from either the engineering or the culture module, all participants join the language classes and enjoy the extensive extracurricular activities together.
The University of Kassel plays a leading role in environmental engineering in Germany, and has contributed significantly to the advancement of renewable energy technologies worldwide through its academic research and innovative technology transfer. Taught by internationally renowned faculty members, ISU offers the best opportunities to study today’s global environmental challenges from a German perspective.
Kassel’s unique homestay program offers you the exciting chance to experience authentic daily life in Germany first-hand. Staying with a friendly and welcoming family will provide you with one of the quickest and most enjoyable ways to learn German through daily interaction and conversation. Your host family will be there to support you throughout your journey of exploring Germany and discovering its customs and people. They will be your home away from home.
Visit the Academics & Study Abroad page which outlines key considerations for your academic planning as you navigate different phases of study abroad:
- Pre-Departure Course Selection & Approval
- Finalizing Course Enrollment Abroad
- Transcripts and Credits on your UMD Record
Renewable Energy Summer School
- You can choose two or three seminars from the following:
- Environmental Engineering and Renewable Energies
- Adaptation Strategies to Climate Change
- Engineering Science of Wind Energy Systems
- In addition to the two or three seminars, you will take a German language course.
The International Summer University also offers tracks outside of engineering. Browse UMD course evaluations in the Study Abroad Course Database:
There may be other course offerings on this program that are not currently listed in the Study Abroad Course Database (SACD).
- If you are interested in taking an engineering course not listed in the SACD, please submit an engineering course evaluation request.
- If you are interested in taking a non-engineering course not listed in the SACD, please submit a transfer credit evaluation request.
Costs for Other Approved Programs are outlined on the Costs of Study Abroad page.
- 2,190 EUR (or 1,990 EUR early bird rate) Program Fee
- 300 EUR Optional trip to Berlin
- $500 Education Abroad fee billed by UMD
- $40 (approximate) International Health Insurance fee
To apply to this program, you must complete two main steps:
- Submit a UMD approval application - start by clicking “apply now” at the top of this page. This application allows UMD Education Abroad to approve your study abroad program selection so you may earn credit in a program outside of UMD.
This application will require you to meet with your EA advisor, who will communicate important details related to participating in this program. If you do not complete this application by the stated deadline, you may not receive credit for your study abroad program and will lose your student status for the time you are not studying at UMD.
- Apply directly to the program provider. After receiving UMD approval, you should submit the program application directly to the program sponsor by their deadline. Your program sponsor will determine your official acceptance to a program. You must adhere to the provider's timeline, eligibility standards, and application requirements.
After being accepted to your program, your EA advisor will guide you through the course pre-approval process where you will determine which credits you will fulfill abroad.
|Term||Year||Application Deadline||Admission Notification||Program Start||Program End|