UMD: A Globally Connected University
CIEE Business, Engineering, Arts and Sciences Program in Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
Named “the capitol of Islamic Culture” for its efforts to preserve and promote culture, Sharjah is a great place to explore how tradition and modern life converge. Develop your Arabic language skills with courses taught in English at CIEE’s partner school, American University of Sharjah (AUS), across an array of subjects, including biology, chemistry, communications, literature, engineering, environmental science, history, mathematics, and more. All courses are complemented with CIEE co-curricular activities and excursions beyond the city to enhance classroom learning and provide intercultural understanding. AACSB Accreditation with students from 93 nations. while you learn about the UAE’s impact on global business and cultural exchange. with trips to Dubai, Al-Ain, and Abu Dhabi.
Business classes are offered in English at the American University of Sharjah (AUS). The CIEE-administered class, “Intercultural Communications and Leadership” (starting in Spring 2020), is not included on the AUS transcript.
ATTEND A CUTTING-EDGE UNIVERSITY
RAMP UP YOUR ARABIC LANGUAGE SKILLS
SEE MORE OF THE GULF REGION
Excursions & Activities
Named “the capitol of Islamic Culture” for its efforts to preserve and promote culture, Sharjah is a great place to explore how tradition and modern life converge. Develop your Arabic language skills with courses taught in English at CIEE’s partner school, American University of Sharjah (AUS), across an array of subjects, including biology, chemistry, communications, literature, engineering, environmental science, history, mathematics, and more. All courses are complemented with CIEE co-curricular activities and excursions beyond the city to enhance classroom learning and provide intercultural understanding.
with students from 93 nations.
while you learn about the UAE’s impact on global business and cultural exchange.
with trips to Dubai, Al-Ain, and Abu Dhabi.
- Advising before you depart to set goals and answer questions
- Optional on-site airport meet-and-greet
- One-week orientation – an introduction to Emirati culture, your academic program, and the city, plus practical information about living in your host city
- Full-time program leadership and support in your host city
- Cultural and/or Co-curricular Activities
- Excursions and/or Study Tours
- Insurance and other travel benefits, with CIEE iNext
- 24/7 emergency on-site support
1 out of 3 CIEE students receives a scholarship - get yours!
GAIN Travel Grants - up to $2,000 toward travel costs guaranteed to all Pell-elgible students.
Gilman Go Global Grants - $2,500/semester and $1,000/summer, guaranteed to all Gilman applications.
Merit-Based Scholarships - $2,500/semester and $750/summer, awarded to students deomonstrating high academic achievement.
Minority Serving Institutions (MIS) Grant - $2,000/semester and $500/summer, guaranteed to all students attending MSIs.
- 200+ study abroad programs in 40+ countries
- $8 million in scholarships offered each year
- 1 in 3 students receives a scholarship
- Study tours and cultural activities included
- Internships and volunteering opportunities
- Rigorous academics
- Cultural immersion
- iNext travel insurance included
Our highly experienced staff have extensive knowledge of all CIEE programs and services. If you are a student with questions about completing your application, or you want to sign up to receive program updates and news, our staff are happy to help.
To apply to this program, you must complete two main steps:
- Submit a UMD approval application - start by clicking “apply now” at the top of this page. This application allows UMD Education Abroad to approve your study abroad program selection so you may earn credit in a program outside of UMD.
This application will require you to meet with your EA advisor, who will communicate important details related to participating in this program. If you do not complete this application by the stated deadline, you may not receive credit for your study abroad program and will lose your student status for the time you are not studying at UMD.
- Apply directly to the program provider. After receiving UMD approval, you should submit the program application directly to the program sponsor by their deadline. Your program sponsor will determine your official acceptance to a program. You must adhere to the provider's timeline, eligibility standards, and application requirements.
After being accepted to your program, your EA advisor will guide you through the course pre-approval process where you will determine which credits you will fulfill abroad.
UMD partners with CIEE to offer affiliate program options to UMD students across the globe. While you will maintain your UMD student status while you are away, you will work directly with CIEE program staff as a participant on their program. Your EA advisor will assist you with this process and can answer questions you may have about the application process.
Academics on a CIEE program
Visit the Academics & Study Abroad page which outlines key considerations for your academic planning as you navigate different phases of study abroad:
- Pre-Departure Course Selection & Approval
- Finalizing Course Enrollment Abroad
- Transcripts and Credits on your UMD Record
Browse UMD course evaluations in the Study Abroad Course Database:
There may be other course offerings on this program that are not currently listed in the Study Abroad Course Database (SACD). If you are interested in taking a course not listed in the SACD, please submit a transfer credit evaluation request.
Transcript from a CIEE program
UMD will require the CIEE School of Record transcript from Tulane University in order to apply your study abroad credits to your UMD degree. CIEE waives the fee to issue a School of Record transcript for UMD students. Please ensure that the transcript from Tulane University is sent to UMD Education Abroad at the end of your semester abroad. CIEE will provide instructions and deadlines for submitting your School of Record Request.
Costs & Billing for a CIEE program
The affiliate program costs apply to this program. All fees are billed to your UMD student account unless otherwise noted. The following CIEE program fee discounts apply to UMD students:
- $2,000 off of CIEE semester program fee (MSI Grant)
- Pell-eligible students are also guaranteed free airfare through the GAIN travel grant (see below)
- $750 off of CIEE summer program fee (MSI Grant + UMD discount)
- Pell-eligible students are also guaranteed free airfare* through the GAIN travel grant
- Waiver of $500 school of record fee
As part of your program application to CIEE, you will pay a $50 application fee to CIEE directly. If accepted, you will then pay a $300 confirmation fee (deposit) to CIEE directly. The remaining CIEE program fees, including housing, will be charged to your UMD student account. You will be able to use any financial aid you receive from UMD towards these charges.
Scholarships for this program are available through the UMD Education Abroad Scholarship and for up to a maximum of $4,000 for the semester and $2,000 for the summer in CIEE Scholarships & Grants, including need-based awards, and automatic CIEE discounts and awards for UMD students (see above).
In addition to the guaranteed UMD student discount or MSI grant, CIEE competitive scholarships and grants, Pell-eligible students automatically qualify for the following:
- *Guaranteed* GAIN travel grant, which covers the cost of airfare (up to $2,000) to your CIEE program site.
- Gilman Go Global Grant of up to $2,500 for semester programs and $1,000 for summer programs if you qualify and apply to the Benjamin A. Gilman Scholarship (regardless of whether or not you receive the Gilman scholarship).
To be considered for the CIEE funding, just check the “Scholarships and Grants” box on your CIEE program application.