UMD: A Globally Connected University
Budapest Semesters in Mathematics (direct enroll)
Specializing in mathematics, Budapest Semesters in Mathematics (BSM) offers American undergraduate students studying math an exciting intercultural experience in Budapest, Hungary. Knowledge of Hungarian is not required since BSM enrolls students at the College International where the math curriculum is taught entirely in English. In addition to teaching math, the Hungarian faculty focus on each individual student’s progress through the development of their creativity and problem solving skills.
BSM is based in Budapest, the cultural, political and economic center of Hungary. Budapest offers students an exciting multicultural environment in which to live and study, with eleven universities, dozens of museums, sports arenas and a vibrant cultural life. Students learn about the Magyar language and culture, which are unique to Hungary, and provide lessons in cultural identity. Combining strong academics with intercultural learning, BSM gives students a unique study abroad experience in the heart of Europe.
Visit the Academics & Study Abroad page which outlines key considerations for your academic planning as you navigate different phases of study abroad:
- Pre-Departure Course Selection & Approval
- Finalizing Course Enrollment Abroad
- Transcripts and Credits on your UMD Record
Browse UMD course evaluations in the Study Abroad Course Database:
There may be other course offerings on this program that are not currently listed in the Study Abroad Course Database (SACD). If you are interested in taking a course not listed in the SACD, please submit a transfer credit evaluation request.
Costs for Other Approved Programs are outlined on the Costs of Study Abroad page.
To apply to this program, you must complete two main steps:
- Submit a UMD approval application - start by clicking “apply now” at the top of this page. This application allows UMD Education Abroad to approve your study abroad program selection so you may earn credit in a program outside of UMD.
This application will require you to meet with your EA advisor, who will communicate important details related to participating in this program. If you do not complete this application by the stated deadline, you may not receive credit for your study abroad program and will lose your student status for the time you are not studying at UMD.
- Apply directly to the program provider. After receiving UMD approval, you should submit the program application directly to the program sponsor by their deadline. Your program sponsor will determine your official acceptance to a program. You must adhere to the provider's timeline, eligibility standards, and application requirements.
After being accepted to your program, your EA advisor will guide you through the course pre-approval process where you will determine which credits you will fulfill abroad.