UMD: A Globally Connected University
BMGT Exchange: Bayes Business School (United Kingdom)
All students accepted to an Exchange program are automatically considered for an award of $1,000! See Cost tab for more information.
City University Business School is the only business school that is located in the City of London – one of the world’s most dynamic financial centers. Ranked 12th in Europe by the Financial Times and the undergraduate program ranked 3rd in the UK by The Guardian, City University Business School is well regarded in business education.
As one of the largest financial centers in the world, there is no better place to study business than the capital of the United Kingdom. In addition to the business sectors that make the city exciting, London is a center of the arts, entertainment, fashion, and tourism. With enough neighborhoods and sites (Buckingham Palace, Parliament, the London Eye – just to name a few) to keep a visitor busy, students will not want to leave!
Exchange programs are highly competitive and space in each program is limited. You must meet the following eligibility requirements in order to apply to this program:
- 3.0 GPA
- Completion of 2 semesters at UMD
- You must be a BMGT major
Exchange programs are a good fit for students looking for immersion, personal growth, and the opportunity to strengthen qualities such as independence and adaptability.
Student Visa Information
As an exchange student, you are required to obtain a visa. Students may be eligible for a student visa, which does not need to be obtained before arrival in the UK. If students wish to intern, they are required to obtain a Tier IV visa beforehand. Please visit this website for more information.
- Click "Apply Now" at the top of this page. You will log in with your UMD directory ID and password.
- Submit all application materials by the deadline listed below. This includes meeting with your EA advisor (listed at the top of this page), requesting a faculty letter of recommendation, and submitting an official transcript.
- After the application deadline, we will review all completed applications and nominate students for available spots in each exchange program.
- If you are nominated to participate in this exchange, you will work with your EA advisor (listed above) to apply directly to the host university, who will formally admit you to the exchange program.
- Nominated students will then work with their EA advisor (listed above) and our partner universities to coordinate all aspects of the stay at the host university such as course registration, visas and arrival.
Visit the Academics & Study Abroad page which outlines key considerations for your academic planning as you navigate different phases of study abroad:
- Pre-Departure Course Selection & Approval
- Finalizing Course Enrollment Abroad
- Transcripts and Credits on your UMD Record
Students can choose from a variety of business courses. Note that UMD cannot guarantee that a particular course will be offered in any given semester at City University Business School.
There may be other course offerings on this program that are not currently listed in the Study Abroad Course Database (SACD). If you are interested in taking a course not listed in the SACD, please submit a transfer credit evaluation request.
All credit you earn on this program will count as transfer credit towards your UMD degree. Most courses at City University Business School will be converted as follows:
|City University Credit||UMD Credit|
|0.3 City University credit||1 UMD credit|
|15 City University credits||4 UMD credits|
The credit conversion listed above was approved by the UMD Study Abroad Transfer Credit Committee on June 10, 2014.
Undergraduates must receive a C- equivalent or better in order to be eligible for the transfer of credit.
|City University Grade||UMD Grade|
Residence hall spaces are very limited, so most students arrange housing in the private sector with the help of City University's housing office.
UMD students participating in an Exchange program have the benefit of paying UMD tuition rates to attend an institution abroad. For specific information about this Exchange program, please reference the Cost of Attendance Chart.
Tuition and fees for exchange programs are charged directly to your UMD account, which means you can apply UMD scholarships, state and federal financial aid, and alternative loans towards the cost of an exchange. Students participating in a BMGT or ENGR exchange program are not charged differential tuition. Housing costs are paid directly to the host institution or on-site housing agency.
You can use the cost of attendance comparison worksheet to view how study abroad programs compare to each other and the amount you pay on campus at UMD. As always, your EA advisor (listed above) is available to help you complete this worksheet and find affordable programs that fit your study abroad goals.
All students accepted to an Exchange program are considered for an automatic award of $1,000! To be considered for this scholarship, you must:
- Be a current degree seeking undergraduate UMD student (graduate students are not eligible for this award)
- Not currently receive full tuition scholarship/benefits (i.e. Banneker Key, tuition remission, Frederick Douglass Scholarship, etc.)
Additional Financial Resources
Maximize your time abroad by taking advantage of resources at your host institution!
Student Clubs and Organizations
City University Business School offers many clubs and societies that cater to a variety of student interests. Whether it be a business club, culture and leisure club, or sport club there’s an organization for everyone!
Counseling & Health Services
The Student Centre at City University of London provides academic advising, immigration advising, and accommodation support. The Centre also has resources for disability support, mental health and counselling, and medical services.
*These resource guides provide general information about services at UMD’s partner institution. For more information, consult your EA advisor.
|Term||Year||Application Deadline||Admission Notification||Program Start||Program End|