UMD: A Globally Connected University
BMGT Exchange: University of International Business and Economics (UIBE) (China)
All students accepted to an Exchange program are automatically considered for an award of $1,000! See Cost tab for more information.
University of International Business and Economics (UIBE)
UIBE is one of the premier business institutions in China, educating Chinese and international students at its Beijing campus in the fields of business, economics, foreign languages, and more. It was one of the first universities to offer an undergraduate program entirely in English.
Beijing, one of the four great ancient capitals in China, is the second largest city in China and home to many cultural wonders. The Forbidden City is located in the center and guided tours take place daily. Beijing also hosted the 2008 Summer Olympics and the venues are still open to tour. The cuisine is also world renowned, the Peking Roast Duck being the most famous. There are over one hundred museums in Beijing, including the National Museum of China, the National Art Museum in China, the Military Museum of the Chinese People’s Revolution, and the Beijing Art Museum. The famous Great Wall is only a few hours drive north.
Exchange programs are highly competitive and space in each program is limited. You must meet the following eligibility requirements in order to apply to this program:
- 3.0 GPA
- Completion of 2 semesters at UMD
- You must be a BMGT major
Exchange programs are a good fit for students looking for immersion, personal growth, and the opportunity to strengthen qualities such as independence and adaptability.
Student Visa Information
A student visa is required for participation on this exchange. For more information, please visit our study abroad visa guide to view instructions for the country you will be visiting. Please note that visa information is subject to change and you are responsible for checking the embassy website for updates.
- Click "Apply Now" at the top of this page. You will log in with your UMD directory ID and password.
- Submit all application materials by the deadline listed below. This includes meeting with your EA advisor (listed at the top of this page), and may include requesting a faculty letter of recommendation, and submitting an official transcript. If a letter of recommendation and/or official transcript are required, it will be listed in MyEA once you start an application for this program.
- After the application deadline, we will review all completed applications and nominate students for available spots in each exchange program.
- If you are nominated to participate in this exchange, you will work with your EA advisor (listed above) to apply directly to the host university, who will formally admit you to the exchange program. Nominated students must complete the host university application in accordance with the host university’s stated deadlines and instructions.
- Nominated students will then work with their EA advisor (listed above) and our partner universities to coordinate all aspects of the stay at the host university such as course registration, visas and arrival.
Visit the Academics & Study Abroad page which outlines key considerations for your academic planning as you navigate different phases of study abroad:
- Pre-Departure Course Selection & Approval
- Finalizing Course Enrollment Abroad
- Transcripts and Credits on your UMD Record
UIBE offers approved classes in finance, economics, international business, supply chain management, and operations management.
There may be other course offerings on this program that are not currently listed in the Study Abroad Course Database (SACD). If you are interested in taking a course not listed in the SACD, please submit a transfer credit evaluation request.
All credit you earn on this program will count as transfer credit on your UMD transcript. UMD uses the following conversion to assess how many credits you will get from this program:
|UIBE Credit||UMD Credit|
|3 UMD credits||2.25 UMD credits|
|4 UIBE credits||3 UMD credits|
The chart above was last approved by the UMD Transfer Credit Committee on December 2, 2016.
Undergraduates must receive a C- equivalent or better in order to be eligible for the transfer of credit.
|UIBE Grade||UMD Grade|
On-campus housing is available and guaranteed for exchange students. Students may apply for on-campus housing after they have been nominated for their semester. All rooms are furnished and include internet.
UMD students participating in an Exchange program have the benefit of paying UMD tuition rates to attend an institution abroad. For specific information about this Exchange program, please reference the Cost of Attendance Chart.
Tuition and fees for exchange programs are charged directly to your UMD account, which means you can apply UMD scholarships, state and federal financial aid, and alternative loans towards the cost of an exchange. Students participating in a BMGT or ENGR exchange program are not charged differential tuition. Housing costs are paid directly to the host institution or on-site housing agency.
You can use the cost of attendance comparison worksheet to view how study abroad programs compare to each other and the amount you pay on campus at UMD. As always, your EA advisor (listed above) is available to help you complete this worksheet and find affordable programs that fit your study abroad goals.
All students accepted to an Exchange program are considered for an automatic award of $1,000! To be considered for this scholarship, you must:
- Be a current degree seeking undergraduate UMD student (graduate students are not eligible for this award)
- Not currently receive full tuition scholarship/benefits (i.e. Banneker Key, tuition remission, Frederick Douglass Scholarship, etc.)
Additional Financial Resources
Maximize your time abroad by taking advantage of resources at your host institution!
Student Clubs and Organizations
The International Student Union organizes a wide range of activities to help international students adjust to their life abroad. In addition, for those interested in athletics, there are football fields, basketball courts, tennis courts and sports equipment all available for use by international students.
There will be a 1 or 2-day registration and orientation session to help students adjust to life at UIBE. The dates of the orientation depend on the chosen session.