UMD: A Globally Connected University
Petition to Apply for Non-Approved Program
The programs listed in the UMD EA program search include UMD-administered and approved programs. If you have researched your options and wish to apply to a study abroad program or an institution abroad that is not currently in the directory, you may request to submit a petition to have the program evaluated. Petitions must clearly indicate your compelling academic reasons for preferring the non-approved program over the UMD-administered or approved program. Please reivew information on unapproved programs prior to contacting an advisor about a petition. The petition process is as follows:
- Meet with the Education Abroad advisor, who will discuss your options and be able to grant you access to the petition application.
- Discuss your plans to study abroad with your academic advisor(s).
- Submit the Petition form. Your petition application must clearly indicate your compelling academic reasons for preferring the non-approved program over the UMD-administered or approved program. Petitions must be submitted by the following deadlines:
- September 17th for winter or spring programs
- February 15th for summer, fall or full year programs
- Your Education Abroad advisor will contact your academic advisor(s) to discuss the suitability of your proposed program to your academic plan.
- Petition will be reviewed (see review criteria below).
- Your Education Abroad advisor will notify you within 2 weeks of the review outcome.
- If your petition is approved, you will work with your Education Abroad advisor and follow the application process.
You should not apply directly to a non-approved program before going through this process. If you have already submitted an application for a non-approved program, make an appointment with an Education Abroad advisor immediately. Please note any application fee or non-refundable deposit monies paid to the program provider are your responsibility whether or not a petition is approved.
Petition Review Criteria
Each petition for a non-approved program will be reviewed by Education Abroad in consultation with an academic advisor in your college, and possibly staff from the Offices of the Registrar, Undergraduate Admissions and International Services.
Criteria used to evaluate a Petition for Non-Approved Program include but are not limited to:
- Accreditation of the host institution issuing the transcript*
- Relevance to the student's academic and cross-cultural objectives
- On-site academic and student services support
- Degree to which the program fulfills the Mission of Education Abroad at the University of Maryland.
- Department of State Travel Warnings
*The University of Maryland only accepts transfer credit from accredited, degree-granting institutions.
|Term||Year||Application Deadline||Admission Notification||Program Start||Program End|