UMD: A Globally Connected University
ENGR Exchange: Lund University (Sweden)
All students accepted to an Exchange program are automatically considered for an award of $1,000! See Cost tab for more information.
Founded in 1666, Lund University is one of Europe's oldest universities and one of Scandinavia's largest institutions for education and research, consistently ranked among the world's top 100 universities. Located in the city of Lund in the Scania province, Sweden, Lund University has eight faculties, with additional campuses in the cities of Malmö and Helsingborg, with 47,000 students, 6,800 employees, and almost 3000 research students.
The University offers over 100 Master’s programs, 5 Bachelor’s programs, and 500 single subject courses taught in English. It is considered Sweden's strongest comprehensive research university and has been awarded more research funding than any other Swedish full-scale university.
Having the university’s largest campus, the Faculty of Engineering, Lunds Tekniska Högskola or “LTH” in Swedish, is among the leading engineering faculties in Europe, with more than 9000 undergraduates and 800 postgraduates based both in Lund and at Campus Helsingborg.
The city of Lund is considered the best student city in Sweden and the top choice for international students. In Lund, students can experience the rich history and cultural heritage of a Swedish medieval university town and at the same time be a part of the dynamic and international atmosphere created by Lund University students and staff. Lund is only 10 minutes away from Sweden’s third largest city and 40 minutes from the international airport in Copenhagen, making it a great hub for travel throughout Sweden and Europe.
Swedes have the highest proficiency in English as a second language in the world - English is spoken by 89% of the population, allowing students to have a unique European experience without language barriers. Also, Sweden is one of the safest countries in the world and ranked as one of the best in which to live. In addition, Sweden is ranked as the most creative country in the world, has one of the highest levels of gender equality, and is well known for its eco-friendly culture.
Lund University and the University of Maryland are both members in Universitas 21 (U21). U21 is the leading global network of research-intensive universities; working together to foster global citizenship and institutional innovation through research inspired teaching and learning, student mobility, connecting our students and staff, and wider advocacy for internationalization.
Learn more about Universitas 21 and it's programs and mission on the U21 website: https://universitas21.com/
Exchange programs are highly competitive and space in each program is limited. You must meet the following eligibility requirements in order to apply to this program:
- 3.0 GPA
- Completion of 2 semesters at UMD
- You must be an ENGR major
Exchange programs are a good fit for students looking for immersion, personal growth, and the opportunity to strengthen qualities such as independence and adaptability.
Student Visa Information
A student visa is required for participation on this exchange. For more information, please visit our study abroad visa guide to view instructions for the country you will be visiting. Please note that visa information is subject to change and you are responsible for checking the embassy website for updates.
- Click "Apply Now" at the top of this page. You will log in with your UMD directory ID and password.
- Submit all application materials by the deadline listed below. This includes meeting with your EA advisor (listed at the top of this page), and may include requesting a faculty letter of recommendation, and submitting an official transcript. If a letter of recommendation and/or official transcript are required, it will be listed in MyEA once you start an application for this program.
- After the application deadline, we will review all completed applications and nominate students for available spots in each exchange program.
- If you are nominated to participate in this exchange, you will work with your EA advisor (listed above) to apply directly to the host university, who will formally admit you to the exchange program. Nominated students must complete the host university application in accordance with the host university’s stated deadlines and instructions.
- Nominated students will then work with their EA advisor (listed above) and our partner universities to coordinate all aspects of the stay at the host university such as course registration, visas and arrival.
Visit the Academics & Study Abroad page which outlines key considerations for your academic planning as you navigate different phases of study abroad:
- Pre-Departure Course Selection & Approval
- Finalizing Course Enrollment Abroad
- Transcripts and Credits on your UMD Record
Due to limited availability of courses in English at the undergraduate level, only students in their final 3 semesters at UMD may apply and must take advanced level courses.
Engineering Disciplines Available:
- Biomedical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer and Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
There may be other course offerings on this program that are not currently listed in the Study Abroad Course Database (SACD).
- If you are interested in taking an engineering course not listed in the SACD, please submit an engineering course evaluation request.
- If you are interested in taking a non-engineering course not listed in the SACD, please submit a transfer credit evaluation request.
All credit you earn on this program will count as transfer credit towards your UMD degree. Most courses at Lund University will be converted as follows:
|Lund University Credit||UMD Credit|
|.5 Lund ECTS||1 UMD Credits|
|7.5 Lund ECTS||4 UMD Credits|
The credit conversion listed above was approved by the UMD Study Abroad Transfer Credit Committee on June 4, 2014.
Undergraduates must receive a C- equivalent or better in order to be eligible for the transfer of credit.
|Lund University Grade||UMD Grade|
|G, 3, C||C -|
There are several options in regard to housing. Lund is a small university city with a limited amount of accommodation and many students are looking for housing at the same time. Therefore, we recommend that you have your accommodation sorted out before your arrival. Lund University does not have a campus area. The University departments and housing areas are spread throughout the city. While there is school housing, you are not guaranteed a space, but help is available for finding housing. See here for more information.
UMD students participating in an Exchange program have the benefit of paying UMD tuition rates to attend an institution abroad. For specific information about this Exchange program, please reference the Cost of Attendance Chart.
Tuition and fees for exchange programs are charged directly to your UMD account, which means you can apply UMD scholarships, state and federal financial aid, and alternative loans towards the cost of an exchange. Students participating in a BMGT or ENGR exchange program are not charged differential tuition. Housing costs are paid directly to the host institution or on-site housing agency.
You can use the cost of attendance comparison worksheet to view how study abroad programs compare to each other and the amount you pay on campus at UMD. As always, your EA advisor (listed above) is available to help you complete this worksheet and find affordable programs that fit your study abroad goals.
All students accepted to an Exchange program are considered for an automatic award of $1,000! To be considered for this scholarship, you must:
- Be a current degree seeking undergraduate UMD student (graduate students are not eligible for this award)
- Not currently receive full tuition scholarship/benefits (i.e. Banneker Key, tuition remission, Frederick Douglass Scholarship, etc.)
Additional Financial Resources
Maximize your time abroad by taking advantage of resources at your host institution!
Student Clubs and Organizations
Lund University offers a variety of organizations for students to partake in as well as sport and exercise groups.
Lund University hosts Arrival Day and Orientation Weeks filled with activities, fairs, excursions, tours, and seminars. There is also an International Mentor Program that students can opt to join to meet Lund students and other international students.
Counseling & Health Services
There are Health centers and Counseling services available for students at Lund University.
|Term||Year||Application Deadline||Admission Notification||Program Start||Program End|