UMD: A Globally Connected University
UMD Exchange: University of Melbourne (Australia)
All students accepted to an Exchange program are automatically considered for an award of $1,000! See Cost tab for more information.
Established in 1853, the University of Melbourne is a public-spirited institution that makes distinctive contributions to society in research, learning and teaching, and engagement. It’s consistently ranked among the leading universities in the world, with international rankings of world universities placing it as number 1 in Australia and number 34 in the world (Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2013-2014).
Melbourne has globally aligned; internationally recognized curriculum cements the university among the best universities in the world and will provide students with a depth in learning and breadth of experience that will best equip them for their future careers.
The Melbourne experience is more than just lectures and study sessions. As a University of Melbourne student, you can get involved in the many campus activities on offer, enjoy amazing new experiences, and make lifelong friends along the way.
Melbourne is the second most populated city in Australia. An international center for performing and visual arts, Melbourne is often referred to as Australia's cultural capital. It is home to many of Australia's largest and oldest cultural institutions such as the Australian Centre for the Moving Image, the Melbourne Cricket Ground, Melbourne Museum, Melbourne Zoo, the National Gallery of Victoria, and the UNESCO World Heritage-listed Royal Exhibition Building.
In 2010, Melbourne was named by International Business Times as one of the best cities in the world for viewing street art; and in 2008, its street art and lanes were voted by Lonely Planet readers as Australia's most popular cultural attraction.
The University of Melbourne and the University of Maryland are both members in Universitas 21 (U21). U21 is the leading global network of research-intensive universities; working together to foster global citizenship and institutional innovation through research inspired teaching and learning, student mobility, connecting our students and staff, and wider advocacy for internationalization.
Learn more about Universitas 21 and it's programs and mission on the U21 website.
Exchange programs are highly competitive and space in each program is limited. You must meet the following eligibility requirements in order to apply to this program:
- 3.0 GPA
- Completion of 2 semesters at UMD
Exchange programs are a good fit for students looking for immersion, personal growth, and the opportunity to strengthen qualities such as independence and adaptability.
Student Visa Information
As an exchange student, you are required to obtain a student visa for Australia before you leave the US. Please visit the Study in Australia website for the Australian government.
- Click "Apply Now" at the top of this page. You will log in with your UMD directory ID and password.
- Submit all application materials by the deadline listed below. This includes meeting with your EA advisor (listed at the top of this page), requesting a faculty letter of recommendation, and submitting an official transcript.
- FOR ENGR GE3 ONLY: If you are applying for a Global E3 exchange, you will need to submit an additional GE3 application by the deadline listed on their website.
- After the application deadline, we will review all completed applications and nominate students for available spots in each exchange program.
- If you are nominated to participate in this exchange, you will work with your EA advisor (listed above) to apply directly to the host university, who will formally admit you to the exchange program.
- Nominated students will then work with their EA advisor (listed above) and our partner universities to coordinate all aspects of the stay at the host university such as course registration, visas and arrival.
The University has seven campuses around Victoria and 13 Faculties or Schools:
- Faculty of Architecture, Building and Planning
- Faculty of Arts (Humanities and Social Sciences)
- Faculty of Business and Economics
- Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences
- Faculty of Science
- Faculty of the Victorian College of the Arts and Melbourne Conservatorium of Music (VCA and MCM)
- Faculty of Veterinary Science
- Melbourne Business School
- Melbourne Graduate School of Education
- Melbourne Law School
- Melbourne School of Engineering
- Melbourne School of Government
Special requirements may exist for students wanting to study with some faculties and a few areas are open only through exchange partnerships. Please see the Melbourne Mobility page for additional information.
You are welcome to take courses in any academic area as long as there are seats open and you meet the course pre-requisites. Course offerings can be viewed here: https://handbook.unimelb.edu.au/
All credit you earn on this program will count as transfer credit towards your UMD degree. Most courses at the University of Melbourne will be converted as follows:
|University of Melbourne Credit||UMD Credit|
|1 point||.32 credit|
|12.5 points||4 credits|
The chart above was last approved by the UMD Transfer Credit Committee on February 12, 2015.
You can view how courses at this institution have previously been evaluated for UMD equivalents through the Transfer Credit Services Equivalency Database (TCEQ). If you are interested in taking a course not listed on TCEQ, you may have it evaluated for acceptability by following the UMD Registrar’s evaluation request guidelines.
Undergraduates must receive a C- equivalent or better in order to be eligible for the transfer of credit.
|University of Melbourne Grade||UMD Grade|
The University of Melbourne will assist you in finding either on-campus or off-campus housing.
Melbourne offers study abroad and exchange students a range of accommodation options to suit different personalities, budgets, and lifestyles. Melbourne also has a full time staff member dedicated to assisting incoming students with their housing questions, so you can be confident of help along the way.You can learn more about accommodation on the Melbourne Mobility website.
All students accepted to an Exchange program are considered for an automatic award of $1,000!
To be considered for this scholarship, you must:
- Be a current degree seeking undergraduate UMD student (graduate students are not eligible for this award)
- Not currently receive full tuition scholarship/benefits (i.e. Banneker Key, tuition remission, TAES, etc.)
- If you have a completed FAFSA on file and wish to be considered for need based aid in addition to the automatic award, complete the EA fund form by the deadline.
UMD students participating in an Exchange have the benefit of paying UMD tuition rates to attend an institution abroad. For specific information on the cost of attending this Exchange, please see the UMD Exchange Cost Sheet
Tuition and fees for exchange programs are charged directly to your UMD account, which means you can apply UMD scholarships, state and federal financial aid, and alternative loans towards the cost of an exchange. Housing costs are paid directly to the host institution or on-site housing agency.
You can use the cost of attendance comparison worksheet to view how study abroad programs compare to each other and the amount you pay on campus at UMD. As always, your EA advisor (listed above) is available help you complete this worksheet and find affordable programs that fit your study abroad goals.
Please refer to the following resources for more information on funding study abroad:
|Term||Year||Application Deadline||Admission Notification||Program Start||Program End|
|Dates reflect information that is available on the program sponsor website. Please confirm with program sponsor/host university before making your travel plans.|