UMD: A Globally Connected University
ENGR Exchange Global E3: Instituto Tecnologico de Buenos Aires (Argentina)
All students accepted to an Exchange program are automatically considered for an award of $1,000! See Cost tab for more information.
Since its creation as a private university in 1959, Instituto Tecnológico de Buenos Aires (ITBA) is well known for its calling for innovation, technology and academic excellence. The successful labour performance of more than 7,000 professional graduates is the best support to ITBA’s academic proposal.
The city of Buenos Aires is truly fascinating due to its cultural and social diversity and richness. The "Paris of South America" combines European style with a Latin feeling, and delights visitors and locals alike with its hundreds of statues, parks and plazas, cafes, bookstores, theatres, and world-class restaurants. There is always something to do in this city where soccer matches, concerts and tango shows happen every day of the week, and gather the gregarious "porteños" (habitants of Buenos Aires), who love meeting in public spaces.
Exchange programs are highly competitive and space in each program is limited. You must meet the following eligibility requirements in order to apply to this program:
- 3.25 GPA
- Completion of 2 semesters at UMD
- You must be an ENGR major
Exchange programs are a good fit for students looking for immersion, personal growth, and the opportunity to strengthen qualities such as independence and adaptability.
Student Visa Information
A student visa is required for participation on this exchange. For more information, please visit our study abroad visa guide to view instructions for the country you will be visiting. Please note that visa information is subject to change and you are responsible for checking the embassy website for updates.
- Click "Apply Now" at the top of this page. You will log in with your UMD directory ID and password.
- Submit all application materials by the deadline listed below. This includes meeting with your EA advisor (listed at the top of this page), requesting a faculty letter of recommendation, and submitting an official transcript.
- FOR ENGR GE3 ONLY: If you are applying for a Global E3 exchange, you will need to submit an additional GE3 application by the deadline listed on their website.
- After the application deadline, we will review all completed applications and nominate students for available spots in each exchange program.
- If you are nominated to participate in this exchange, you will work with your EA advisor (listed above) to apply directly to the host university, who will formally admit you to the exchange program.
- Nominated students will then work with their EA advisor (listed above) and our partner universities to coordinate all aspects of the stay at the host university such as course registration, visas and arrival.
To view the courses offered at ITBA from each engineering department, click the following: http://itba.edu.ar/en/area/undergraduate. All courses at ITBA are taught in Spanish. Hence, applicants must have completed at least 2 years of Spanish at university level by the time of application.
Disciplines Available: Administration and Information Systems, Bioengineering, Chemical Engineering, Software Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Naval Architecture, Petroleum Engineering
Language of Instruction: Spanish
All credit you earn on this program will count as transfer credit towards your UMD degree. Most courses at Instituto Tecnologico de Buenos Aires will be converted as follows:
|Instituto Tecnologico de Buenos Aires Credit||UMD Credit|
The credit conversion listed above was approved by the UMD Study Abroad Transfer Credit Committee on June 4, 2014.
You can view how courses at this institution have previously been evaluated for UMD equivalents on the International Study Course Search hosted by the Clark School of Engineering website and the Transfer Credit Services Equivalency Database (TCEQ). If you are interested in taking a course not listed on TCEQ, you may have it evaluated for acceptability by following the UMD Registrar’s evaluation request guidelines.
Undergraduates must receive a C- equivalent or better in order to be eligible for the transfer of credit.
|Instituto Tecnologico de Buenos Aires Grade||UMD Grade|
ITBA does not offer on-campus accommodation. Hence, each student is responsible for making his/her own living arrangements.
The suggested accommodation includes different types of housing available for students in the city of Buenos Aires: hostels, bed + breakfasts, student residences, home stays, apartments, and hotels.
All students accepted to an Exchange program are considered for an automatic award of $1,000!
To be considered for this scholarship, you must:
- Be a current degree seeking undergraduate UMD student (graduate students are not eligible for this award)
- Not currently receive full tuition scholarship/benefits (i.e. Banneker Key, tuition remission, TAES, etc.)
- If you have a completed FAFSA on file and wish to be considered for need based aid in addition to the automatic award, complete the EA fund form by the deadline.
UMD students participating in an Exchange have the benefit of paying UMD tuition rates to attend an institution abroad. For specific information on the cost of attending this Exchange, please see the UMD Exchange Cost Sheet
Tuition and fees for exchange programs are charged directly to your UMD account, which means you can apply UMD scholarships, state and federal financial aid, and alternative loans towards the cost of an exchange. Housing costs are paid directly to the host institution or on-site housing agency.
You can use the cost of attendance comparison worksheet to view how study abroad programs compare to each other and the amount you pay on campus at UMD. As always, your EA advisor (listed above) is available help you complete this worksheet and find affordable programs that fit your study abroad goals.
Please refer to the following resources for more information on funding study abroad:
|Term||Year||Application Deadline||Admission Notification||Program Start||Program End|