UMD: A Globally Connected University
Nanyang Technological University: GEM Trailblazer Summer Programme
Spend a summer in Singapore, the perfect 'soft landing' in the heart of the fast developing Asia-Pacific region and a springboard to explore the many cultures and languages in neighboring countries. NTU's unique summer program will bring you an unforgettable summer education. Choose from over 30 courses across 5 different tracks, from experiencing a full Asian cultural experience to opportunities in enhancing your future business career in Asia and staying abreast with the latest technology in 3D Printing. Students will choose a 2-week, 4-week, or 6-week program session.
In order to take part in summer NTU program, you must:
- be currently enrolled in an accredited college or university which has an exchange agreement with NTU
- achieve a minimum GPA requirement of 3.0
- be nominated by UMD
- be proficient in the English language
Students enrolled in the NTU Summer Programme live on campus in one of 18 resident halls. On campus accommodation is guaranteed. Learn more about on campus accommodation at NTU, costs, and what to bring on the NTU website.
Visit the Academics & Study Abroad page which outlines key considerations for your academic planning as you navigate different phases of study abroad:
- Pre-Departure Course Selection & Approval
- Finalizing Course Enrollment Abroad
- Transcripts and Credits on your UMD Record
The GEM Trailblazer Summer Program offers 5 tracks, listed below. Students are allowed to register up to 2 courses within each track or across different tracks, but must be aware of potential timetable clashes and note course lengths (2-week, 4-week, or 6-week). Please see available modules on the Coursework page.
- Track 1: Chinese Language & Cultural Studies
- Track 2: Entrepreneurship & Innovation
- Track 3: Creative Design & Media
- Track 4: Success in the Globalised Marketplace
- Track 5: New Technologies, New World
Browse UMD course evaluations in the Study Abroad Course Database:
There may be other course offerings on this program that are not currently listed in the Study Abroad Course Database (SACD). If you are interested in taking a course not listed in the SACD, please submit a transfer credit evaluation request.
Costs for Other Approved Programs are outlined on the Costs of Study Abroad page.
University of Maryland students enroll as fee-paying students. The following breakdown provides an estimate of fees for this summer program. For up-to-date fees from the host institution, please see the GEM Trailblazer Summer website.
Paid to UMD:
- Application fee: $50
- Education Abroad fee: $500
- International Health Insurance: $40 (est.)
Paid to host institution:
- Estimated tuition fee: SGD 1,710 per course (around $1200)
- Registration and Administrative Fees: SGD 1050 (around $900)
- Round trip Airfare
- Personal expenses and individual travel
- Optional international trip cancellation/interruption insurance
To apply to this program, you must complete two main steps:
- Submit a UMD approval application - start by clicking “apply now” at the top of this page. This application allows UMD Education Abroad to approve your study abroad program selection so you may earn credit in a program outside of UMD.
This application will require you to meet with your EA advisor, who will communicate important details related to participating in this program. If you do not complete this application by the stated deadline, you may not receive credit for your study abroad program and will lose your student status for the time you are not studying at UMD.
- Apply directly to the program provider. After receiving UMD approval, you should submit the program application directly to the program sponsor by their deadline. Your program sponsor will determine your official acceptance to a program. You must adhere to the provider's timeline, eligibility standards, and application requirements.
After being accepted to your program, your EA advisor will guide you through the course pre-approval process where you will determine which credits you will fulfill abroad.