UMD: A Globally Connected University
ENGR Exchange: Hong Kong Polytechnic University (Hong Kong)
All students accepted to an Exchange program are automatically considered for an award of $1,000! See Cost tab for more information.
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU) has a proud and illustrious history dating back to 1937. Formerly known as the Hong Kong Polytechnic, they assumed full university status in 1994. The university is strategically located in Hung Hom, in the heart of Kowloon and the campus continues to grow with extensive development and rapid expansion in the last 10 years. PolyU has the largest student community among publicly funded universities in Hong Kong with over 28,000 students.
PolyU offers a wide range of academic programs which directly meets industrial, commercial and community needs of the city and the region. In addition to meeting Hong Kong's manpower requirements, they also make significant contributions towards the territory's success and enhance strong partnerships by providing an expanding range of consultancy, professional training and applied research services to the public and private sectors.
The university's mission is to provide high quality education of an applied nature to meet the changing requirements of the world, and preparing students for the challenges they will meet in their future careers. A wide range of academic programs are offered, many of which are among the best in Asia, and indeed the world. In addition to equipping students with professional competency, they also encourage the development of independent thinking, good communication skills and the nurturing of a global outlook in all their students.
Over the years, PolyU has instructed more than 330,000 graduates, many of whom have become leaders in their professional fields, contributing their knowledge and expertise to the building and development of Hong Kong's thriving economy. They look forward to welcoming students to the PolyU community and hope it will be an empowering experience for you which will further enhance your potentials for the future.
Hong Kong is a special administrative region of the People's Republic of China and a thriving metropolis of roughly 7 million people. It is situated on China's south coast on the South China Sea and is known for its expansive skyline and deep natural harbor. It's a leading financial center and one of the most densely populated cities in the world. This lack of space has caused city planners and architects to build up, which makes the city the most vertical in the world with its notorious skyline and modern architecture. Although the majority of city residents are ethnically Chinese, English is widely spoken. World-renowned for its intersection of Western technology and education and Eastern tradition, Hong Kong is an exciting destination for study abroad.
Exchange programs are highly competitive and space in each program is limited. You must meet the following eligibility requirements in order to apply to this program:
- 3.0 GPA
- Completion of 2 semesters at UMD
- You must be an ENGR major
Exchange programs are a good fit for students looking for immersion, personal growth, and the opportunity to strengthen qualities such as independence and adaptability.
Student Visa Information
A student visa is required for participation on this exchange. For more information, please visit our study abroad visa guide to view instructions for the country you will be visiting. Please note that visa information is subject to change and you are responsible for checking the embassy website for updates.
- Click "Apply Now" at the top of this page. You will log in with your UMD directory ID and password.
- Submit all application materials by the deadline listed below. This includes meeting with your EA advisor (listed at the top of this page), and may include requesting a faculty letter of recommendation, and submitting an official transcript. If a letter of recommendation and/or official transcript are required, it will be listed in MyEA once you start an application for this program.
- After the application deadline, we will review all completed applications and nominate students for available spots in each exchange program.
- If you are nominated to participate in this exchange, you will work with your EA advisor (listed above) to apply directly to the host university, who will formally admit you to the exchange program. Nominated students must complete the host university application in accordance with the host university’s stated deadlines and instructions.
- Nominated students will then work with their EA advisor (listed above) and our partner universities to coordinate all aspects of the stay at the host university such as course registration, visas and arrival.
Visit the Academics & Study Abroad page which outlines key considerations for your academic planning as you navigate different phases of study abroad:
- Pre-Departure Course Selection & Approval
- Finalizing Course Enrollment Abroad
- Transcripts and Credits on your UMD Record
Students studying at Hong Kong Polytechnic University enroll for engineering courses.
Available disciplines include:
- Biomedical Engineering
- Building Engineering & Management
- Building Services Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computing Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronic and Information Engineering
- Engineering Physics
- Industrial and Systems Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
There may be other course offerings on this program that are not currently listed in the Study Abroad Course Database (SACD).
- If you are interested in taking an engineering course not listed in the SACD, please submit an engineering course evaluation request.
- If you are interested in taking a non-engineering course not listed in the SACD, please submit a transfer credit evaluation request.
All credit you earn on this program will count as transfer credit towards your UMD degree. Most courses at Hong Kong Polytechnic University will be converted as follows:
|Hong Kong Polytechnic University Credit||UMD Credit|
|1 Credit||1 UMD Credit|
|3 Credit||3 UMD Credit|
The chart above was last approved by the UMD Transfer Credit Committee on April 24, 2014.
Undergraduates must receive a C- equivalent or better in order to be eligible for the transfer of credit.
|Hong Kong Polytechnic University Grade||UMD Grade|
|C -||C -|
All exchange students are guaranteed a place in University accommodations provided they meet the conditions of the guarantee. There are several options in regards to accommodation.
Additional information about housing options can be found on the University's website.
UMD students participating in an Exchange program have the benefit of paying UMD tuition rates to attend an institution abroad. For specific information about this Exchange program, please reference the Cost of Attendance Chart.
Tuition and fees for exchange programs are charged directly to your UMD account, which means you can apply UMD scholarships, state and federal financial aid, and alternative loans towards the cost of an exchange. Students participating in a BMGT or ENGR exchange program are not charged differential tuition. Housing costs are paid directly to the host institution or on-site housing agency.
You can use the cost of attendance comparison worksheet to view how study abroad programs compare to each other and the amount you pay on campus at UMD. As always, your EA advisor (listed above) is available to help you complete this worksheet and find affordable programs that fit your study abroad goals.
All students accepted to an Exchange program are considered for an automatic award of $1,000! To be considered for this scholarship, you must:
- Be a current degree seeking undergraduate UMD student (graduate students are not eligible for this award)
- Not currently receive full tuition scholarship/benefits (i.e. Banneker Key, tuition remission, Frederick Douglass Scholarship, etc.)
Additional Financial Resources
Maximize your time abroad by taking advantage of resources at your host institution!
Student Clubs and Organizations
There are clubs and organizations representing a wide range of interests. From academic clubs to music clubs to sports clubs, every student can find something that interests them.
Hong Kong Polytechnic University has a two day international student orientation in order to help students feel comfortable in their new environment and to learn more about the university. The orientation is also a great way to make friends!
Counseling & Health Services
Student’s health and wellbeing is very important, which is why Hong Kong Polytechnic University has a campus clinic that provides primary health care and counselors available to international students.
|Term||Year||Application Deadline||Admission Notification||Program Start||Program End|