UMD: A Globally Connected University
Retroactive Credit Approval
What is the Retroactive Study Abroad Transfer Credit Approval Process?
This process is for UMD students who have studied abroad on an Affiliate programs or Other Approved Program without EA and UMD approval, and are interested in determining if their credit can transfer back to UMD.
Who is this process for?
- Students who have completed a study abroad program; and
- Did not follow the Education Abroad application procedures/timeline; and
- Want program credits to transfer to UMD
Retroactive Process Workflow
- Student initiates process
- Sends official transcript to Education Abroad Abroad (1118 H.J. Patterson Hall, College Park MD 20742)
- Schedule a retroactive credit approval appointment with Joy Gursky, EA Advisor
- Student follows course approval process
- Check if courses are pre-approved in the Study Abroad Course Database
- If courses are not listed in the SACD, submit an EA transfer credit evaluation request
- Complete the Study Abroad Course Approval form, initiated in meeting with EA Advisor, meet with academic advisors and return completed form to EA.
- Education Abroad evaluates the transcript and submits to Transfer Credit Services
- Transfer Credit Services posts approved credit to students UMD record
- Student pays the EA fee charge posted to your student account
- $500 for winter, summer or spring break programs
- $1,200 for fall, spring or academic year programs
What do I need to do?
- Have an official transcript from your study abroad program sent to EA's office (1118 HJ Patterson Hall)
- Schedule a retroactive credit appointment with Joy Gursky & start SACA form
- Complete Retroactive Information Form in MyEA
- Submit Courses for review (if not already in the Study Abroad Course Database)
- Schedule appointments with Academic Advisor(s) in major and college for SACA signatures
- Turn in SACA to EA front office
- Pay EA fee on your student account
How will an EA Advisor Help?
- Review study abroad program to ensure standards are met
- Create a Retroactive Credit Approval application for you in MyEA
- Help you complete the Study Abroad Course Approval Form (SACA)
- Explain the course evaluation process
- Evaluate your study abroad transcript
- Coordinate sending of official transcript and SACA to the UMD Registrar, Transfer Credit Services
- Bill EA fee to your student account
Refer to the Academics page for more details about how study abroad credit is approved and recorded on your UMD record.
Students pursuing retroactive credit will travel overseas as independent students and are advised to review the Statement for Students on International Independent Programs and follow the guidance provided.
|Term||Year||Application Deadline||Admission Notification||Program Start||Program End|